raw to closed cooling system conversion

fibersport

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Has anyone converted their Mercruiser raw water cooled system to a closed or fresh water system? In looking at some coolant flow diagrams, it looks like some different hoses and a heat exchager/expansion tank are all that's needed.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: raw to closed cooling system conversion

Howdy,

It's absolutely "possible". I did it with my 1997 454 in 2005 before I installed it when it had about 120 hours of fresh water use (no salt).

Most people will advise against it if the engine has been used in salt water for more than a year or about 100 hrs.

I bought the San Juan Engr "kit" from http://www.oceaneastmarine.com/

Regards,

Rick

Speakrdude

Ensign

Do it to just about every boat I restore/resell. Either half cooled or full. Ask away. Easy kits available.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

I did it on my in-line 6 (MCM165) many years ago. And later on my new 1994 engine straight out of the box.... Quite simple, yes a few different hoses, and other bits and pieces, and a hotter thermostat.... Didn't do it on 2006 engine because Merc Australia charge $4,000 for the kit and another few hundred for the belt driven pump!

Chris......

scoflaw

Ensign

Later fuel injected motors with ECM.s need a different ECM, that's why the $4000 quote.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Later fuel injected motors with ECM.s need a different ECM, that's why the $4000 quote.

That $4K included the return of the old ECM! THAT is why I think it's a rip-off.

JMHO.... (and why I buy my parts from the US now.)