48 hp wet plugs great spark but one cylinder isnt firing!!

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
I have this 1988 48 special...it has 150 psi of compression and it starts fast. and it ran great in the summer...on the stand...i rebuilt the carbs and ran it a few times afterwards , then it sat for 9+ months.

I start it now and it fires up in a split second!!! it will rev up and it idles ok, but I was thinking not as good as it did the last time....the thing seemed loud last time i ran it...

so I pull the top plug wire while is is running and the motor dies right away....put the plug wire back on and start it again and do the same to the bottom plug...but the motor keeps running. sooo its running on one cylinder!! I check the spark and it looks great in both cylinders!! I pull both plugs and they look very wet...BOTH . i switch the plugs but the lower cylinder still isnt firing, I pull the plug and put the plug wire on it and lean it against the block and crank it over the plug is firing bright blue!!!

so it seems like my gas mixture is bad or I am not getting enough gas...or i am getting too much gas...because the plug was wet....

what could be causing this???

and if it is the carb.....what part of the carb should i be looking at that could stop working after a rebuild , but no use....

I might try to dry the plug off tomorrow and start it again and see if it gets wet,,,, I know i got great spark out of the plug!!!...seems it has to be gas related...but the wet plug has me baffled...

bob