Can I get away without painting the bottom of my boat?

Spaniard

Cadet
First of all, I want apologize for reopening a thread that has been covered before, but somehow I still don't have a clear answer.

Objective: Trying to avoid painting the hull of a 2003 Rinker 342. // After reading so many comments, it seems that it is better if you can, somehow, avoid painting the hull under the right scenario. I am about to get this boat, and

the bottom has never been painted. Thus, I feel like I should try my best to keep it the same way.

Scenario: Marina is on freshwater, and it has dry storage. In addition, I will not be using the boat for the months of May & June, as I will be out of state.

Wishful thinking: I would like to leave the boat on the water from July through October (Would that affect the bottom?), and dry storage the rest of the months so I still can use the boat when needed, but I will not leave it on the
water.

Other thoughts: I also considered buying a trailer for the boat, and pulling her out of the water, but being a 34 footer, I am not sure if that is a good idea, as I will have to rent a big enough truck every time I want to do this. Other
idea, is to purchase a boat lift, but those are also pricey, and it would make me stay at that particular marina.

Does anyone has any other thoughts?

Thanks you in advance.

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Can I get away without painting the bottom of my boat?

Welcome to iboats, spaniard!

At our previous place we left our fiberglass boats at the dock in fresh water from May to October. Every day, all day, every year for decades without bottom paint on any boat. There was a gawdawful slime ring at the waterline to content with in the fall (or part way through the summer if I was feeling energetic) but I never encountered any problems that I could tell, anyway. No blisters, nothing.

Only reason I use a marine rail system at the current place is the shoreline is unprotected and can get pounded something fierce by wind and waves.

Having a trailer isn't a bad idea because I assume you need to store it in the winter? Doesn't mean you need a truck. Store the trailer with the marina and have them use one of their trucks in the spring and fall to launch and retrieve your boat.

Black Snow Slide

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok. Here is the scoop. Can you go without bottom paint? Yes but you open up a new can of problems.
1. Before you put the boat in the water you need to wax the bottom.
2. Every 7-10 days you will need to take a swim with a brush to clean the bottom.
3. If rack storage you need to clean all the scum off the hull prior to it going up. You don't want that scum to dry onto the hull. It will stain.
4. I would go to the lake where you are boating and see what others are doing. I have white Enron 33 on mine and I may be in a slip for a month or 2, then trailer for a few weeks, back into the slip for a week, into fresh for week, sit on the trailer for a few weeks then repeat. I found the bottom paint a much better way aposed to going clean.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Fresh water...... I would not bother....

Ask other's at the marina what they do.....

Spaniard

Cadet

Thank you so much for your helpful answers. I believe that combining a few good pointers from you guys, I might be able to get away without a bottom paint. Hopefully, it will work out.

Scoutabout, Thank you for your reassurance. Being from Canada (gorgeous country I must say), probably the water is not a warm as it would be in the southern State of Tennessee. Thus, I might have more problems with scum attached to the bottom, but as long as i don't have any blisters it will be a good thing. Then, following Black snow's advice (brushing the bottom every ten days or so) I should be ok ... I hope.

At the moment, I am thinking to just dry store her, as it is getting cold. I could also leave her at the marina parking lot (it is much cheaper), but I would have to get a trailer, and she will be on the open, as it is not covered ( I am not sure if that would be a good idea). I was asking about the bottom paint now because the gentleman at the marina highly suggested that I do that now, so she will be ready for the spring. Having no experience, whatsoever, on this regard, I decided to ask you guys. And bob, you are right too, I should the people at the marina. Just by looking at the boats there now, they all seem to be bottom painted. But I don't want to leave her at the marina year around.

Thank you guys.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Every summer we used to go to a lake and leave our boat in the water. The hull was figerglass. It wouldn't take but a few days for the scum to start building. Scum and algae and if in salt water, barnacles, can really eat up your mph in a hurry.

Mark

Spaniard

Cadet

Thank you, Mark. The folks at marina advice me to paint the hull as well. It is somewhat sad, as one does not find many '02 cruisers of that size with a clean bottom... and being new o larger cruisers I was wanting to find out a way to avoid painting her based on the usage listed above.

Once again, Thank you.

island mike

Chief Petty Officer

Again,Blisters have nothing to do with paint(antifouling)
Welcome to iboats.

island mike

Chief Petty Officer

Antifouling,painting as you put it is part of boating,why are you so reluctant?
It should take you only 2 days or so,
Clean with acetone,sand,clean again,primer,then 2 to 3 layers of antifouling...
done.
presuming you will do it yourself.
take care with antifouling paint its poison!
Start at the back.
Y mucho suerte.
I mike

Thalasso

Commander

Antifouling,painting as you put it is part of boating,why are you so reluctant?
It should take you only 2 days or so,
Clean with acetone,sand,clean again,primer,then 2 to 3 layers of antifouling...
done.
presuming you will do it yourself.
take care with antifouling paint its poison!
Start at the back.
Y mucho suerte.
I mike

This is more then a two day job. It is dirty. You have to sand bottom apply barrier coat apply at least two coats of bottom paint.I could be wrong but i don't think Trilux requires a primer.outside temp will dictate what you can or cannot do.

r.j.dawg

Ensign

I am in the process of buying a 1990 Doral 270 that has never had any bottom paint. We surveyed it last week and it passed with flying colors. Now we boat up in the Lake Simcoe/Georgian Bay area so our waters don't get that warm. Low 70's mostly during the summer so maybe that has something to do with it. There was very little growth on the hull which came off easily with a pressure washer leaving just as white as the day it rolled out of the factory.

Thalasso

Commander

I am in the process of buying a 1990 Doral 270 that has never had any bottom paint. We surveyed it last week and it passed with flying colors. Now we boat up in the Lake Simcoe/Georgian Bay area so our waters don't get that warm. Low 70's mostly during the summer so maybe that has something to do with it. There was very little growth on the hull which came off easily with a pressure washer leaving just as white as the day it rolled out of the factory.

You will not need it.

Summer Fun

Banned

My boat is 25yrs old and she still has a white bottom.

I'm in freshwater so I say NO also. :).

PS, Welcome to iboats & Congrats on the new ride. :)

chriscraft254

Commander

Ive said it before. Depends on your area where you boat. Different waters have different growths, even in the same area. Barnicles are not just limited to salt water by the way. Check your neighbors, see what your area calls for as far as bottom paint. There are different bottom paints for different areas as well. Some work better for salt, some better for fresh water etc. Good luck.

island mike

Chief Petty Officer

I as a former boatyard worker did a complete antifouling job on a big boat in two days sometimes three.How long does it take you?
Yes its dirty yes its dangerous and everything else,But my goal was to get him to do it himself,Thats what iboats is about right? Not taking it to someone who might not even do a good job, losing money...Its a good way to get to know your boat,Start at the bottom!

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

No one here can answer your question. ONLY people with experience at YOUR place of mooring can answer.

The object is to prevent marine growth from attaching to your hull. Period. If you moor where there is no marine growth, that's it. Do nothing.

Some people with small boats are concerned about how the bottom looks when the boat is on the trailer. Why, is beyond me. But that consideration does not pertain to a 34' boat. Disregard cosmetic concerns.

The people with knowledge of your area, if marine growth is an issue there, will present you with choices, divided between keeping the boat in the water, or out. Out is expensive and inconvenient. The less inconvenient, the more expensive. In, painted, is what most people with your boat do, and have done, forever.

Only your local people can tell you what paint to use, if you decide to keep the boat in the water where it belongs. As to hauling it occasionally, some paints can dry and some can't. Ablative paints need to have the boat used, so while you are gone for two months, you probably should have someone at the marina take the boat out. Should do that anyway.

Thank you, Mark. The folks at marina advice me to paint the hull as well. It is somewhat sad, as one does not find many '02 cruisers of that size with a clean bottom... and being new o larger cruisers I was wanting to find out a way to avoid painting her based on the usage listed above.

Once again, Thank you.

NYGiants

Chief Petty Officer

Bottom paint is not going to stop all the scum from building up on the bottom if you leave your boat in months at a time. Had a 21' sailboat that we kept in the Delaware River (near Philly) kept in the water may-november and never painted it. I did haul it out every few weeks though. I suggest in investing a trailer and shrinkwrapping your boat in the winter. Should pay off in the long run and with shrinkwrap nothings getting in. My dad was in the same situation as you are guy suggested her paint the bottom but once you paint it theres no going back unless you want an expensive sandblasting of the bottom.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

why would you shrink wrap in Tennessee?
what's delaware got to do with it?
why would you care what the bottom looks like? (other than marine growth)
why would you haul a 32' boat every few weeks? (except that's better than the advice to go swimming every 7-10 days and scrub the bottom of a 32' boat--right.)
why would you sandblast paint off?

Location and boat size--start there!

NYGiants

Chief Petty Officer

Im saying shrink wrap for the winter if thats he is concerned with for storage on a trailer. Also, i left my boat on the delaware with no bottom paint and nothing happened that was bad, yes its tennesee but its not a different planet. Never told him he had to haul his boat every few weeks just saying i did. and sandblasting is really the only way to completely remove bottom paint if you ever decide you don't want it.

r.j.dawg

Ensign

:eek:Sandblasting a gelcoated hull??? Soda blasting is the way to go. Sand blasting is for steel hulls. At least here on the Great Lakes.