scale buildup on an aluminum hull

cobra03570

Recruit
I just bought an aluminum jon boat yesterday. The boat was in the water all year. There is a buildup of scale about 1/16th of an inch on the hull below the water line. Does anyone know how to remove this scale??? I just viewed on another post that muratic acid is too harsh for aluminum.

Tnriverluver

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: scale buildup on an aluminum hull

If it is a bare aluminum (not painted or clear coated) you can use aluminum wheel cleaner and a mild scotchbrite type pad to scrub the scale off.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

you want to be careful with any acidic cleanser...like muriatic.......muriatic wont take off calcium.....hydrochloric will (industrial toilet bowl cleaner) but wash off immediately after you put it on.....and you may have to do it 2 or three times.....put it on....and rinse it off......do a test spot first.....

if you are on a galvie trailer......plastic wrap it or spray water on it ....and keep water running over it when you are applying the toilet bowl cleaner.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Use AlumaPrep 33 and a green scotch brite. Westmarine sells an aluminum cleaner that costs about 5 times as much for a whimpy bottle. It's the same stuff. Do a small section and then rinse immediately and continue on. The aluminum will oxidize back to a protected state in about a week, (that's what bare aluminum does and why it isn't necesssary to paint it.). I just did it to my Jetcraft and it came out clean as a whistle after a week in a high Alkali lake.