Rememberance Day/Veterans Day. Lest We Forget.

tallcanadian

Captain
The time is near again for us to remember those who served. Although I thank those who served all campaigns daily but the WWII holds special feelings for me because my father served and was wounded on May 23/44 on the Hitler line in Italy. He was hit twice on the same day by mortar shrapnel. He survived his wounds but suffered life long injuries and anguish. I was lucky enough to find audio new feed of that very battle when he was wounded.

http://archives.cbc.ca/war_conflict/second_world_war/clips/9860/

This is a pic of my father when he was in the army before he was wounded, and his medals.

100_3952.jpg

Thanks to all veterans and thank you Dad for serving and sacrificing. I'm very proud of what you did.

I welcome all vets pics and or stories of loved ones or friends that served.

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Re: Rememberance Day/Veterans Day. Lest We Forget.

Hey TC, as a former member of the CF I make it to the cenotaph ceremony then meet up with 5-6 guys I served with that live in this area at the legion.
The old timers are getting scarecer (WWII, Korea), but we are starting to see more and more of the newly retired types and guys coming home on leave to participate in the Rememberance Day function.

(So whats the deal with people being up in arms about the Halifax pub crawl on the 11th???, Have they not seen the legion bar around 4 PM on the 11th?? :D)

southkogs

Staff member

I had a chance to spend a few minutes this summer with a Korean War Vet who had over 460 combat sorties over Korea. My Grandfather served in both WWII and Korea, Dad and a couple uncles during 'Nam and my brother and a BIL have been on duty through the middle east mess. We have a CAP Dining In this weekend and will have POW/MIA table as well as this toast:

"We toast our hearty comrades who have fallen from the skies, and were gently caught by God's own hands to be with him on high.
To dwell among the soaring clouds they've known so well before, from victory roll to tail chase at heavens very door.
And as we fly among them there we're sure to hear their plea, "Take care my friend, watch your six, and do one more roll for me."

Thanks to all of you who have served - including our neighbors to the north - I hope the rest of us treat our freedom with as much value as you've put into protecting it.

Bigprairie1

Commander

Indeed, a very memorable day and I'll be standing proud on the 11th in memory of the great men who gave their lives for this great country, Canada.
....in Flander's fields......yes, we all know.
BP

rbh

Fleet Admiral

In Flanders Fields
By: Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae, MD (1872-1918)
Canadian Army
In Flanders Fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

RogersJetboat454

Commander

One grandfather (maternal) served during WWII with the Canadian army (he was originally from East Pubnico Nova Scotia), in the Highlanders (can't remember the division). He didn't like to talk about it much, but from what I gather he was on the beach during D-day, and served in Belgium for a period too. He confided in one of my uncles (his brother in law) that at one point sometime, somewhere, most of his unit was wiped out, and he had to hide among the bodies to escape the Germans who were shooting on sight (no prisoners) :eek:.

He was a nervous guy afterward (now called PTSD), but after the war he managed to become a U.S. citizen. He met my grandmother on a blind date. Married her. Built a house with her one load of lumber at a time from paycheck to paycheck (never any mortgage). Had my mother, and a job at Sylvania as a light bulb tester. He would give you the shirt off his back, and was always willing to help with any project.

My other grandfather whom I never met was in the Coast Guard post Korea, and was stationed on the USCGC Duane. He was in charge of the small arms on board, and was particularly fond of testing diving suits up in the Arctic Circle. From what my dad says, it sounds like my grandfathers blood was glycol based... :D

He married my grandmother which was his high school sweetheart, and had a job as a lineman for Bell telephone. They had my aunt and father, then he became a police officer.

To all who have served, or are serving.... Thank You!

Woodnaut

Chief Petty Officer

Most years I walk around the office and shake hands with all of the Veterans and thank them. We've got some Vietnam vets and some younger guys too. I'll be out of town this year so I'll miss that opportunity.

puddle jumper

Captain

The more as time goes by the 11th of November seems to meen more than when Iwas a kid.

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I agree with you Puddle Jumper. I am an Army vet. I am taking 3 Marine vets out on my boat to watch our Veterans' Day Boat Parade here. I should be well protected.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

The more as time goes by the 11th of November seems to meen more than when Iwas a kid.

Hey PJ-
Do you know this is the first time since Korea that Canada has gone to war, yes we are constantly doing peace keeping roles around the world (Bosnia, Golan heights, Cypress ETC). and a couple of small deployments to 'assist' our allies.
But Afganistan has been our awakining back into a combat mission, and with the loss of lives we have had, it has effected everyone across the country.

(back in the 60s-70s we had about 140.000 man standing army, the 90s brought us into the low 80.000, now we are getting the levels back up, but know where were they used to be.)

D

DJ

Not to get political but, there are lots of verterans coming home from the mid-east that need our help and support. Actions speak a lot louder than words and these young men and women need our active help.

AGREE!

I lost my Dad, two years ago. WWII Bomber Pilot (B-24's-Italy, Germany, Africa.). What a MAN he was.

Since his passing, we've discovered some photos and documents that are truly fascinating and frighteneing, at the same time. Again, what a MAN. Doing all of that at the ripe old age of 21.

Can the youth of today comprehend piloting a ship, carrying ten men, ten .50 cal. machine guns and a bomb load into hostile territory? I don't think so.

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Not to get political but, there are lots of verterans coming home from the mid-east that need our help and support. Actions speak a lot louder than words and these young men and women need our active help.

We have a sign at our VA that says "The price of freedom is visible here". You are right Bubba, there are a lot of guys that are going to need help.

puddle jumper

Captain

Hey PJ-
Do you know this is the first time since Korea that Canada has gone to war, yes we are constantly doing peace keeping roles around the world (Bosnia, Golan heights, Cypress ETC). and a couple of small deployments to 'assist' our allies.
But Afganistan has been our awakining back into a combat mission, and with the loss of lives we have had, it has effected everyone across the country.

(back in the 60s-70s we had about 140.000 man standing army, the 90s brought us into the low 80.000, now we are getting the levels back up, but know where were they used to be.)

Thats why we as Canadains are knowen as peace keepers rather than a millitary country.

D

DJ

AGREE!

I lost my Dad, two years ago. WWII Bomber Pilot (B-24's-Italy, Germany, Africa.). What a MAN he was.

Since his passing, we've discovered some photos and documents that are truly fascinating and frighteneing, at the same time. Again, what a MAN. Doing all of that at the ripe old age of 21.

Can the youth of today comprehend piloting a ship, carrying ten men, ten .50 cal. machine guns and a bomb load into hostile territory? I don't think so.

Bubba-No doubt our brave and capable "Service People" are doing great things.

I doubt the intestinal fortitude of our youth-in general!

I bought a young mans dinner at the airport tonight-Army. Unbeknownst to him, until he tried to pay.

I love doing that!!:D

erwinner

Petty Officer 1st Class

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Thread reopened. Not sure why it was closed. Must have been an accident.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Thread reopened. Not sure why it was closed. Must have been an accident.

Thank You EZ!

This is not a pee"n contest who did what better/faster, it is about the fallen who put their butts on the line for "us".

DECK SWABBER 58

Lieutenant Commander

November 11th became significant for me on Febuary 20th 2006 when I watched the US flag taken off my Father's casket, folded and handed to my Mother.
He was a WWII veteran stationed in Guam, lived to 83. Like all of them he never really talked much about it.

To all the iboats vets here, A GREAT BIG THANK YOU for your service.