help i need to remove my prop.....

I hope this hasnt been beaten to death but im:confused: please help me get this prop off. im working on a 270 outdrive it seem the prop is stuck
before i get the bfh out can anyone help. I got the nose cone off and thats it. do i need a puller or what am i missing??

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: help i need to remove my prop.....

I am assuming that you are looking at the prop shaft from the rear, can see the splines and continuing on up the shaft can see the splines of the prop! Nothing between the prop splines and the rear of the propshaft.

If you can rig a puller (3 suitable sized chains for a 3 blade prop, 4 for a 4,and a big bolt....size of prop shaft is ok, with the end ground into a point so that it stays in the detent at the end of the prop shaft, using a nut and big flatwasher between the chain and point of the bolt will allow you to run the nut up the bolt and put the prop in tension) that allows you to put pressure on the end of the prop shaft and on the blades of the prop at the barrel, you will be less likely to damage anything.

If you have a high rake prop and can't get the chains to remain on the front edge of the prop, then get some S hooks and wrap a piece of chain around the barrel right at the leading edge of the prop blades. Then using S hooks to hook into this circular mounted chain, run 3 chains up to the bolt, even spaced around the prop, and attach. Using S hooks of the proper size at the bolt end will prevent you from having to use a large diameter chain.

A good penetrating oil like PB Blaster sprayed in the splined interface from the rear and allowed to soak overnight would help.

Also, while the prop is in tension a block of hard wood and a medium hammer using smart medium intensity smacks on the barrel could help to dislodge it. If you use an 8 oz ball pein and make medium strength smacks, you aren't going to tear up anything.

When reinstalling, wire brush the shaft splines and liberally grease with Merc/Quicksilver marine grease or in a tight, you can use the blue trailer wheel bearing grease....ww has it and may have the Merc grease in a tube also...different wallys have different resources in this area.

Mark

cool thanks im spraying pb blaster now, so no hidden setscrews or pins i need to remove.

Mi duckdown

Commander

Tilt the motor up so that the pb blaster gets in between the shaft and the prop.
I pefer Marvel(SP?) oil.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Tilt the motor up so that the pb blaster gets in between the shaft and the prop.
I pefer Marvel(SP?) oil.

I did an engine rebuild on a small hp engine once and thought Marvel Oil would make for a good pre-runup lube. That's when I found out that it is a great solvent; wasn't designed for lube purposes even though it is "oil"! But having used both I actually prefer Kano oil, used by industrial machinists, but it is not easily obtained around here and PB is carried by most auto parts stores. But in short, use what works; right!

And Mr. Larson.... if you don't see anything as I mentioned then there isn't anything on the shaft except for the thrust washer and that is usually Bronze and is forward of the prop. It's what the prop nut pushes the prop against when you tighten it and keeps the prop from running up the shaft and gouging out your lower unit housing.

And, tilting up and rotating the prop is a good idea. I'd get some good dish detergent (Dawn is perfect) and wash out the prop hub area good when finished. The rubber in your hub would do better without having to decide whether or not it liked a solvent on it. Good Luck.

Mark

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You might try just loosening the nut a bit, then put the boat in the water and run it going forward and reverse several times. The pressure and changes in direction may loosen it.