In-Hull Hummingbird transducer clued down / Garmin Chartplotter/Fishfinder

baylake

Seaman
My boat has a in-hull Hummingbird transducer clued down at bottom of hull to support an Hummingbird depth sounder (installed aftermarket by previous owner). I want to add a chartplotter/fishfinder unit and interested in Garmin 541s or 441s. I am boating in fresh and salty water of the Gulf.
Question:
1. Can I use the existing transducer for the new Garmin with any adapter? Don't think this is an option but just want to ask.
2. How to remove the old transducer? or will you at all? Leave it there and just install a new transducer.
3. Hummingbird owners - what units will you recommend that is in price range of Garmin 541s?

Thanks for your inputs.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: In-Hull Hummingbird transducer clued down / Garmin Chartplotter/Fishfinder

I wouldn't take anybody's word for it personally. I'd www Garmin and ask them personally providing Model numbers.

On removal, leave it be and install elsewhere.

On installation, if you want to see what's under you install it vertically to the normal attitude of your boat at the location. If the boat has a non level surface (bow high, or v bottom) make yourself a level "pad" out of epoxy where you want to mount the transducer and after it cures, epoxy them together. Minimum bubbles mean maximum sensitivity so don't whip it up into a frenzy and "homogenize" the glue with bubbles. There are some epoxy's available that make few bubbles and people on this site know of them. Maybe one will pick up this thread and supply the name.

You use epoxy as we are dealing with percussion (sound waves) and they travel through solids much easier than semi-solids...like using RTV as an adhesive.

HTH,

Mark

John_S

Rear Admiral

Do you know the model of the HB installed? Even if you went with a HB GPS/FF, the old transducer may not work with new. If it has at least a down firing 200kHz transducer, it can probably be used on a recent model. It may or may not require a $25 conversion cable.

While technically if the HB was a 200Khz transducer and the Garmin uses same, the connector ends will not match. I have not seen cables that convert from one brand to another, so that would mean splicing wires. To me, that is not worth it compared to just mounting another transducer. No need to remove old, unless you can't find another acceptable spot.

It sounds like you are mainly adding for GPS. Probably the best choice comes down to the detail of the available maps for the areas you frequently fish.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

No, it will not work. Garmin uses a different wiring configuration than everyone else's transducer.