225 evinrude pops then stalls at idle

gwseafarer22

Cadet
My 225 evinrude 1998 idles then it sounds as if its backfiring through one of the carbs,then stalls out. If I raise the rpms up to go say 5miles an hour she`s fine but if I drop it down it runs then pops and stalls but then starts up again. Also I noticed that if I let the engine run at 2000 rpms the engine will start toraise the rpms to about 4000 rpms then go back to 2000rpms without me touching the controls.carbs have been rebuilt 3 times over 4 years,gas tank cleaned,stator replaced 3yrs ago ,powerhead 2x`s over 5 yrs. If it was a car it would prbably be a vacuum leak somewhere in the intake.Need advice please thanks,Bob.

DuckHunterJon

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 225 evinrude pops then stalls at idle

Just guessing with out seeing the motor: The popping back through the carb could indicate either timing is off (assuming this is electronic ignition, check pick up sensor) or possibly carbon build up on the pistons (carbon heats up, pre-detonates). The hunting throttle does sound more like a vacuum leak, but not sure it's related to the first problem. Easy way to check for a vacuum leak, take a can of carb cleaner and spray a bit around the gaskets, vacuum lines, anywhere else you think there's a leak. If engine RPM's increase, you found your leak.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Have you checked your fuel pump lately?

My Merc was having some of the same symptoms and it's the fuel pump.

Another thing, have your carbs been vacuum synchronized every time when they're rebuilt?

gwseafarer22

Cadet

I thought the p/u sensor maybe the problem,but i`m going to try the carb sprayfirst.thank`s for help will let you know out come.

gwseafarer22

Cadet

Carbs have been synced.Would a bad fuel pump make it pop through carb and stall?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

A weak/sticking VRO can cause this as the engine runs lean due to it not filling the carbs completely.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I fought a similar problem last year on a 97 Evinrude. Carbs rebuilt, new fuel pump, still did it. Ended up tearing the manifold off and replaced every gasket under it. Then cleaned the re-hosed the entire recirculation system. It still wouldn't idle at 650 rpm w/o a pop every once and a while. Called Evinrude support and was told to check the jets sizes. Sure enough, someone had changed the jets at one time. New jets and the problem went away.

daselbee

Commander

Called Evinrude support and was told to check the jets sizes. Sure enough, someone had changed the jets at one time. New jets and the problem went away.

Which jets?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

You could also have a double firing pulse pack.

Fador

Cadet

Could a bad reed be a issue?

gwseafarer22

Cadet

reed were changed in september ,it seemed alittle better but then got worse.

tomats

Seaman Apprentice

Just out of curiousity are you experiencing any shifting problems?

I am having similar issues with my 90 v4, started acting up last trip , not sure if related but, I forgot to vent the plastic gas tank and sucked it in pretty good creating a big vacuum, after I vented it started hesitatiing, etc, I wondered if I could have ruptured the diaphram in the fuel pump. Did not think much of it. Today, started fine and ran fine at low idle once on plane, I heard the pop and then stall, reset throttle to neutral and started fine, rev up rpms get on plane and pop, this time not staying or won't go into forward gear, reverse seemed fine. Anyway, since the throttle and shift linkage are interconnected, I think my problem is somewhere in the linkage and not the fuel system.