Gimbal Bearing and Bellow

ratbag

Cadet
hi, i pulled my outdrive off for the winter DP SM. The bellow had a rip in it so i think it was getting water in the bearing area. the bearing has some play and looks a bit rusty. i plan on changing the bearing and bellows. should i be looking at anything else while i'm in there. mainly because of the water. this is the first year i've owned this boat so i don't know when it was lubed or what last. the engine is a 2000 5.7 GSI.
thanks, bob

Attachments

• Picture 779.jpg
    Picture 779.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 0

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Gimbal Bearing and Bellow

The ujoints are probably full of water and rust as well. The yoke that goes into the drive also gets rusty where the seal rides and cuts the seal, so I would strongly suggest you replace the seal and inspect the seal surface and replace the yoke if needed.
With water in the bellows, you probably have water in the gear lube as well.

ratbag

Cadet

thanks, don. i will repace the u joints. i didn't have and water in the gear lube when i drained it. should i take the yoke out of the drive to inspect? also what about the yoke end that goes into the engine anything there i should check? not the yoke itself,but around the fly wheel.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Look at the seal from the outside by the yoke, if the yokes not rusty, you lucked out.
Flywheel end, check the alignment and lube the splines.