Problem removing OMC transom cable - pinched cable inner core

skiscotty

Cadet
I am doing a rebuild on my 1992 Cobra, 5.8L

I have removed every thing (strendrive, pivot and gimble hsngs) OK but can't get the cable out. Problem is the black plastic piece at the engine end of the cable - the inner core is pinched where it was held by the 2 set screws (now removed) and won't come out of the black piece.

I have tried to get the inner out from the sterndrive end by using a small tube against the outer and a nut on the threaded portion of the inner cable (like a puller), but it won't come out and I don't want to stretch the inner core.

The cable is in good condition and I want to re-use it so cutting is not an option. I need to get the black piece off so I can set the cable length (per posts regarding shifting problems; that is what started this whole exercise).

Any ideas on how to get that black bit off without destroying the cable or stretching the inner.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: Problem removing OMC transom cable - pinched cable inner core

Howdy,

Welcome to iboats!!

Well, there's 6 different "Cobra" models in 1992.

2 were cone clutch and 4 were "dogs".

The cables are probably different so it will be difficult to know unless you reveal a little more info.

If you do not have an OEM service manual, now would be a good time to get one for your year model that covers your actual model. (Seloc or Clymer doesn't cut it. they are pretty good for starting your woodstove though!)

If this is a dog-clutch model and it's the original cable it might be a good idea to replace it anyway since you'll already have everything apart.

Regards,

Rick

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

What is your definition of inner and outer? There is a cable assembly that consists of its own housing(usually red in color) and the inner braided cable. This is all inside what looks like a big rubber hose.

I would also just replace the cable at this point, especially if you were having shifting problems.

skiscotty

Cadet

Thanks for your replies;

I have the genuine OEM manual - it is most useful but unfortunately provides no guidance with this aspect other than to say "...Loosen both set screws and remove casing guide" [cf. Cobra Stern Drives AMH cobra models OMC corp 1991, section 10-25 step 9]. The casing guide (the black plastic end piece which attaches to the pin on the engine bracket) will not come off due to inner core (the braided centre wire) being pinched (ie. flattened) by the set screws.

View attachment 120919

The Cobra setup is 1992; Engine model 584APRAMH. Sterndrive model 987126. dog clutch type. The cable is brand new genuine OEM [red outer casing], it was installed by a workshop here in Sydney [AUS] which I have now lost faith with - I do not believe that the cable was adjusted correctly and I am now going to do it properly after having paid them to do it in the first place (old story eh?). i want to save the cable if possible but will buy a new one as a last resort, the cost of this repair is already mounting.

I have read the extensive internet posts and discussion about cobra hard shifting, all seems like common sense.

Lastly - I have called the red outer sheath the 'outer cable' and the braided wire inside it the 'inner cable'. The big rubber hose is OK but I have now re-routed it correctly behind (aft) the hydraulic steering ram to give a smoother cable run/action per the manual (thanks again to the workshop gorillas who installed it incorrectly)

Any ideas about how to remove that plastic piece (called 'casing guide') in the OEM manual would be most apprecited.

Thanks, John

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

If you have the bellcrank at the drive at it's 90 degree point, are you not lining up right? By the way, very helpful to have the OMC bellcrank tool if you can find one.

skiscotty

Cadet

I have made up 2 jigs to substitute for the belcrank alignment plate [OMC#914017]and cable length setting tool [OMC#915271]. Nobody has them here in AUS but they are pretty simple really so I have fabricated suitable tools.

These jigs will hold the bellcrank at 90 degrees to the pivot hsng gasket face, and will hold the cable at the critical dimension specified in the OEM re-assembly procedure, but at this stage I am still trying to get that @!#@ casing guide off so I can proceed.

The burning question is ------ How do I get that black casing guide off the braided cable core ???? the very tip of the cable core is jammed into the casing guide because it was squashed flat by the set screws, I have removed the set screws and can see the cable tip deformed at the bottom of the set screw hole, I cannot pull it out.

Somebody must have had this problem before -- i can't belive I am the first (I never come first).

Regards, John

PS - really appreciate your help with this one

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I sure don't know how to help you with this one short of getting a new guide and destructing the old one. I sold my Cobra 10 years ago so I don't have one to go out and look at.

MRS

Commander

i can't belive I am the first (I never come first).

Regards, John

PS - really appreciate your help with this one[/QUOTE]
If it does not just pull off you will have to cut it off mine just came off (while on the water) so now I have to redo the whole deal. Lube it up and pull that sucker off if it breaks buy new cable and casing will come with it. Nobody ever said boating was cheap just that it is fun.

skiscotty

Cadet

I like Bruceb58's idea - i am gonna hack that black bit off and get a new one of them. better than buying a whole new cable.

trouble is here in AUS we need to order that stuff from the good ole US of A and it takes bout 3 weeks to get here.

cheers MRS, i like your style but i dont really want to stretch that inner core just for the satisfaction of teaching it a lesson.

MRS

Commander

Not only is it a teaching lesson but since you have everything off now I would just change it out. First time I tried ajusting transom cable had to pull outdrive 3 x's something in cable was not right. I spend the extra for the new cable made job alot easyer plus you will have a spare cable if you need it. Hope you get it going soon.

skiscotty

Cadet

Does anybody know the exact length of a new cable inner (ie the braided centre wire) - i want to check that i have not stretched mine whist wrestling with it to get it out. I need an accurate length please (within 1/16" pls, if possible)

Also - the OEM manual says the new cable comes with the Trunion set in an exact position which must not be changed. Can anybody tell me the 'factory pre-set' position of this trunion.

trunion preset position.jpg

Thanks, John

Last edited: