Threaded hole behind fuel pump on my Evinrude

reggiebad

Cadet
I have a 1990 25 horse evinrude and i have been noticing that it is leaking a little gas. After changing fuel hoses and eveything i can think of i have narrowed the problem down to the fuel pump. At first i thought there was a hairline fracture or something on the back of the fuel pump itself but when i took it off i noticed a threaded hole going into the block in between the two holes for the bolts that mount the pump on the block. I noticed the gasket that is supposed to be in between the pump and the block is missing. is there a screw or bolt or something that is supposed to be in that hole or is it sealed by the missing gasket. the hole goes into the block and im pretty sure that is where the leak is coming from. Hopefully someone can help me out.

Fed

Commander
Re: Threaded hole behind fuel pump on my Evinrude

That hole would be for the pulse to run the fuel pump, surprised it even works without a gasket there.

reggiebad

Cadet

yeah it runs alittle rough i bought it cheap from a guy and i have been working on it trying to get it running smooth. So hopefully a gasket will solve my problem. will that effect wether or not the motor runs smoothly?

reggiebad

Cadet

yeah thats the one its part number 438555. That explains alot cause the motor doesnt have the power it should and it idles really rough and pops and sputters a little. Before i realized it was a fuel issue i thought i had a fowled plug or something like that so not having that gasket explains alot.

Haffiman

Commander

There are 2 versions on fuel pumps for that engine.
One version uses the hole at the back as pulse hole, the other version the hole at the back is plugged with a screw and gasket and a separate pulse hose to the pump.
If 2 hoses to the pump - version 1.
If 3 hoses to the pump - version 2.

reggiebad

Cadet

I got that gasket and put it on and the leak stopped and the motor is running pretty smooth. Thanks for the info its greatly appreciated.