Alpha 1 input shaft seal replacement-trouble getting 15/16" nut off yoke

Status
Not open for further replies.

UNSUREBOATGUY

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've got the assembly pulled out of the drive (gears look like new-I'm shocked and very pleased-its an '87) and have started disassembly. I have the setup sitting in the retainer nut wrench and stuck a screwdriver in the u-joints like it shows in the manual. I'm having a difficult time removing the 15/16" nut off of the yoke. I'm turning it counter clockwise-what gives? There is no corrosion or dirt or anything. I bent my screwdriver :confused:(granted, it is a fairly light duty one).

This is my first time attempting this repair and I just want to be sure I'm not doing something that might cause damage. Is it common for the nut to be this hard to remove? I figured this would be an easy part of the repair.

Thank you for your time and advice.

ziggy

Admiral
Re: Alpha 1 input shaft seal replacement-trouble getting 15/16" nut off yoke

when i did mine. seems like i put the screw drive in the vise then put the assy. on the driver. it took several tries before i had a way that looked like it'd work w/o the whole assy. moving around on the screw driver. imho, keep trying till ya find the secure way to hold the assy. on the screw drive while putting ccw torque on the nut. my guess is your assy. has the nut torqued down to a rolling torque value as opposed to my old drive that used around 75 ft. lbs. to torque that nut down. it's tight. but not horrible tight. it's a nyloc nut. one use only along with the one use only washer. imho, it's how you mount it on the screw driver that's critical to having a winner to remove or put that nut back on.
fwiw, i used the largest screw driver i could find that'd fit through the ujoint assy. best i can do for ya. maybe someone else will have a better idea.

UNSUREBOATGUY

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sounds like a winner-I'll give it a shot that way. Thank you.

cr2k

Captain

Impact wrench!

Status
Not open for further replies.