suspect lower unit but dont know what it could be

christianneedle

Recruit
I was running in choppy water. The motor would rev up and the boat would loose speed. If I were in a car, I would think that the transmission was slipping. Does anyone have any ideas as to what could cause this? Any ballpark price to repair?

Thanks.
Patrick

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: suspect lower unit but dont know what it could be

Check for wornout prop hub first!

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Agreed.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Not disagreeing that it could be the prop, but even easier (to diagnose, not to fix...:() would be if your engine's shaft length is "marginal" and the prop was actually cavitating on and off in the chop.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Does it only do it in rough water? Probably cavitation (ventilation, for the purists). Either way, it is sucking air from the surface.

Does it happen in any kind of water? Slipping prop hub.

It isn't the lower unit, so relax.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Us "Purists" like to use the correct terminology.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Could be something as simple as too much trim up. I have to laugh at myself because I did that last week totally by accident. I hit a patch of weeds at speed and when I was throttling it back to check it I must have been hitting the trim up switch. After I looked and saw it was clean I went to power back up and it kept overrevving at 2500 rpm so I just naturally figured I spun the hub. I pulled it out of the water and checked everything but couldn't find any problems so I took it back out and it was fine. The only thing it could have been was my dumb butt hitting the trim switch and not realizing it.

christianneedle

Recruit

Thanks soo much!! A prop hub is way better. Like this forum. Me thinks I'll learn a lot.

patrick

stylesabu

Master Chief Petty Officer

you will, I still am

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Us "Purists" like to use the correct terminology.

I understand. But let's face it, the English language changes to accept commonly used words. We could get into what is an "engine" and what is a "motor" too. But Ole Evinrude called it a "motor", so motor it is.

Everybody calls air around the prop "cavitation", correcty or not. It's just a matter of where the air came from.

Then we could get into "electrloysis" and "galvanic corrosion" but we won't.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I wonder if they called "cavitation" or "ventilation" back in 1909 ?? Wonder what Ole would have to say??