Winterizing

Chuckles1

Recruit
I have a Force 125hp outboard engine and need to know how to winterize it. How do I get antifreeze into the engine?

boat1010

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Winterizing

First of all Welcome to iboats.. Now for your question.. I'm not sure about outboard motors but from what I have read here it doesn't sound like you need to get antifreeze into the motor.. It is the lower unit oil you need to be concerned about. Making sure there is no water in the oil. But this should help bump your question back to the top so someone else might see it and be able to help you better.. Good luck..

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Well, you don't give the year BUT if you store the engine vertically, it is self draining. No anti-freeze is needed. You can fog the engine and drain the carb bowls, but that is really not necessary either.However, be aware that with alcohol containing gas, it is possible for water to collect in the bowls and corrode them to the point where they leak. So the choice to drain is yours. These engines are remarkably easy to store. If you have a dual exhaust or a Mercury lower unit--(mid 90s to late 90s) then be sure to cover the prop and lower unit so no rainwater or snowmelt will get in and freeze.

fucawi

Banned

In the old days I would pull the lower unit in the spring to check the impeller ....Now I pull the lower unit in the autumn check the impeller and if its ok leave it dismantled so the rubber does not set..re build in the spring