Lake Powell next April

John3

Petty Officer 2nd Class
17 End of a Canyon 001.jpg13 Traffic Jam 001.jpg16 Bathtub 001.jpg15 Dinosaur 001.jpg31 The End 001.jpg
It's been too long since I've had my Boat on Powell. Claire & I are planning on going for a week, on the water, in April starting the 15th. Our plan is to launch at Wahweap and we should be able to get to Bullfrog. We'll need to find a different beach every night. Claire and I will camp on the Boat, others may want to do the same or pitch a tent on shore.
Years ago, when I belonged to the Power Squadron we had an Active Trailer Boating Group. I've attached a couple of pictures from our 1976 Cruise (Please excuse the quality. I had to scan old pictures to get them). We would have 20 or 30 Boats on a Cruise and had to breakup into small groups of 4 or 5 to avoid traffic jams.
Powell is one of the most beautiful places on earth and best seen on the water. If you don't want to trailer your boat. There are plenty of places to rent anything from a Canoe to a Houseboat.
The Dates are still flexible. Anyone want to join us?

jaxnjil

Lieutenant
Re: Lake Powell next April

best of luck john.

we have spent a lot of time on powell. great place to get lost form the rest of the day to day grind

the problem we have, comes when we have to leave.
sun rise looking to halls crossing from B F

John3

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Great Picture. Thanks for the good wishes. Should be a memorable trip.

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

Great Picture. Thanks for the good wishes. Should be a memorable trip.

take lots of pix. you never know when you might get back.

as you well know. also be fun to compare your older ones with new ones

John3

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Our Lake Powell trip starts 3 weeks from now! Time for an update.
Claire & I have something to do on April 13, so we'll leave bright & early April 14. It's about 550 miles from here to Wahweap, AZ. Should arrive Noon on the 15th.
I took the boat from Long Beach to 2 Harbors, Catalina Island on Tuesday, came back yesterday. It ran well, couple of minor things to take care of.
This should be a fun laid back cruise.
Please post a reply here or PM me if youre interested in joining up.

jondavies

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My son and I are planning to go to the lake the week before you. Too bad -- it would have been nice to say hello.

This will be our second year of going during spring break. Last year the lake was virtually empty of other boats and we had an amazing time. In three days we went from Wahweap up to Rainbow Bridge and explored many side canyons.

However, I hope the wind isn't as bad as it was at this time last year. We were almost blown away on our first night in front of Gunsight. Fortunately, the conditions improved after that and we found a really nice sheltered campsite on the north side of Rock Creek Bay.

DSCF1450-1.jpg

Here's the coordinates if you are looking for somewhere in that area:

37.13259N 111.13641W

Post a report when you get back.

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander

It's funny what you said about the traffic jams..we had the same problem at Powell in some of those really cool tight canyons. Just when you think you're in the middle of nowhere, you've got company.. headed the wrong direction!

Have a great trip John.