Transom reinforcement suggestions needed for 1956 Chris Craft Kit Boat

BAD AIR

Recruit
Hi, I just purchased this boat and would appreciate any suggestions (especially with photos) on an easy way to reinforce the inside of this transom. I'd also like to seal the aft-most bottom and corner vertical seams. I'm thinking I'd just add a bunch of "fiberglass", doesn't have to be pretty, a friend is suggesting I also add some wooden "gussets". The boat is a 16' Barracuda and I'm considering 50-70hp. The original owner ran it with 90 hp for decades.

https://picasaweb.google.com/116899503630270862039/SweePeaTransom?authkey=Gv1sRgCIC-y-CqkdPjvwE

Thank You,

Josh

Fisherball

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Transom reinforcement suggestions needed for 1956 Chris Craft Kit Boat

Post this in the restoration forum & you'll get lots of answers from people who have faced the same situation.

BAD AIR

Recruit

thanks Fisherball, looks like somehow it got moved for me or I somehow did it.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

What's prompting the need for reinforcement? Assuming the wood is solid, I'd agree that some fiberglass layers and an additional knee brace or two would be the way to go.

BAD AIR

Recruit

What's prompting the need for reinforcement? Assuming the wood is solid, I'd agree that some fiberglass layers and an additional knee brace or two would be the way to go.

I purchased without a motor and need to at a minimum re-finish so I'm just leveraging the opportunity to do some reinforcement. Also, there were/are some leaks at the transom so I figure it's a good idea to give it attention inside and out. There's a good chance I'll drop a modern 4 stroke on there so I think it'll probably be 100 lbs. heavier than anything the boat has seen.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

If she were mine, I'd mix up some thickened epoxy filleting material and fillet the edges around the bottom and the sides. I would then use Epoxy and 12" 1700 Biaxial Cloth tape to tab it all in to the hull sides and bottom. I might even run a full layer of 1700 on the transom. This would make her bulletproof and able to handle that new 4 stroke with no issues. Make sure to wash everything down with Acetone after you do a sanding with 80 grit.

BAD AIR

Recruit

If she were mine, I'd mix up some thickened epoxy filleting material and fillet the edges around the bottom and the sides. I would then use Epoxy and 12" 1700 Biaxial Cloth tape to tab it all in to the hull sides and bottom. I might even run a full layer of 1700 on the transom. This would make her bulletproof and able to handle that new 4 stroke with no issues. Make sure to wash everything down with Acetone after you do a sanding with 80 grit.

Thanks, I was beginning to lean towards something like this (thick epoxy in some areas but more limited use of the glass) because of the lack of flat surfaces for the "glass". It seems that the 1700 would form fairly easily to the "irregularities" which would be nice in the areas as you described. Do I need to completely remove all paint/varnish prior to using these materials? What would be good to use for this?