Chrysler 1057HF Broken something

munkyface

Recruit
Anyone know what the name of this piece is? It is made of cast aluminum, and I don't really know if this is a structural piece or just a cover. Is this something that I should replace or is it something that can be repaired?IMG_0709.jpgIMG_2200.jpg

jkoppe73

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Chrysler 1057HF Broken something

That is your lower leg cover, (front) and this may have been caused by the lower shock mount, which is partly visible, breaking.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Chrysler 1057HF Broken something

This is not something that you can run the engine with safely in its current condition. It is held only by the two top motor mounts and while it may not actually fall off, it most certainly will bang around a bit. Eventually, the uppers will deteriorate from this and fail.

In the photo you can CLEARLY see the bolts on the lower motor mount are rusted and the rubber biscuit is broken. The motor mount is hanging free and not supporting anything. Aside from the front cover, this is a major job because The four short bolts that retain the back of the motor mount are probably rusted and seized too. They need to be drilled out and re-tapped. The extreme corrosion on your motor mount requires it to be replaced too. It is difficult to tell because of the corrosion, but it appears that the motor mount was also installed incorrectly. The thick part should be forward and the tapered thin part with the bolt slots should be against the engine midleg.

Replacing the front cover requires that you support the engine as it contains the two upper motor mounts and I would strongly recommend replacing the whole assembly--kingpin, yoke, and front cover as it can be very difficult to remove the kingpin.

At any rate, if you do not have a lot of money in the engine, you may want to get rid of it. If you want to repair it, look for a junker and swap the powerhead onto the junker lower parts.

If you decide that you still want to salvage the engine, send me a private message- I have the parts.