Gear oil

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander
Re: New user

Welcome aboard :D

Are you talking about lower unit gear lube? or fuel/oil mix?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Welcome aboard :D

Are you talking about lower unit gear lube? or fuel/oil mix?

He specifically asked about "gear oil". Any lower unit lub labeled 85-90 would be fine.

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

Yep. I use wal mart stuff.. you can get it on iboats too.

You need a pump for it and you remove the lower fill screw and the upper vent screw and pump it in from the bottom pumping it until oil comes out the top. Make sure to replace the seals on the screws. While you're draining the oil you can assess it; milky oil is bad, it means water intrusion has occurred.

Jiggz

Captain

Yep. I use wal mart stuff.. you can get it on iboats too.

You need a pump for it and you remove the lower fill screw and the upper vent screw and pump it in from the bottom pumping it until oil comes out the top. Make sure to replace the seals on the screws. While you're draining the oil you can assess it; milky oil is bad, it means water intrusion has occurred.

Just drain the oil by removing the plug located at the bottom of the "bullet" and open the vent plug. The drain plug is located at the very bottom (not on the side which is the screw for the shifter) with an allen screw head. No pump is required unless you wanted so then you can just pump it out from the fill or vent plug.

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

Just drain the oil by removing the plug located at the bottom of the "bullet" and open the vent plug. The drain plug is located at the very bottom (not on the side which is the screw for the shifter) with an allen screw head. No pump is required unless you wanted so then you can just pump it out from the fill or vent plug.

The pump is for putting the new oil in...

robert graham

Admiral

Use "Marine Lower Unit Oil" with certain additives for marine environment, just pump it in the bottom drain hole until it comes out the top vent hole, replace screw plugs, you're set to go! Walmart carries the oil and the pump. Take your drain screw with you to make sure the pump threads match up right. I believe there's 2 or 3 different drain screw threads. Good Luck!:)

Jiggz

Captain

Either that or buy the "squeeze bottle" with a nozzle that fits perfectly to the fill plug.

Jiggz

Captain

Use "Marine Lower Unit Oil" with certain additives for marine environment, just pump it in the bottom drain hole until it comes out the top vent hole, replace screw plugs, you're set to go! Walmart carries the oil and the pump. Take your drain screw with you to make sure the pump threads match up right. I believe there's 2 or 3 different drain screw threads. Good Luck!:)

So how does that work when you're ready to disconnect the pump? I mean the drain plug is located at the bottom of the bullet which means as soon as you unscrew the pump hose oil will drain back out.

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

So how does that work when you're ready to disconnect the pump? I mean the drain plug is located at the bottom of the bullet which means as soon as you unscrew the pump hose oil will drain back out.

that's just not true...

If you replace the vent screw, it will not leak... such has been my experience changing lower unit gear lube..
Squeezing it against the force of gravity isn't very easy -- been there, tried to save 6 bucks on the pump, didn't work.There is a reason the MFG suggests doing it this way.

Jiggz

Captain

that's just not true...

If you replace the vent screw, it will not leak... such has been my experience changing lower unit gear lube..
Squeezing it against the force of gravity isn't very easy -- been there, tried to save 6 bucks on the pump, didn't work.There is a reason the MFG suggests doing it this way.

I'm asking not disagreeing. Because the way I refill mine is to first remove the drain plug from the bottom of the bullet, crack open the vent hole to let the draining "breathe" and when its empty, I replace the drain plug, open the fill hole (located right next to the vent hole) and fill it in either with a hose or pump but mostly just with the squeeze bottle that came with the gear oil. In fact, you can even fill it in thru the vent hole albeit do it a little slower to let the air escape while filling.

robert graham

Admiral

The recommended and accepted method is to fill from the bottom to force the air out of the vent hole. The pump is about $6 and well worth it. No better way to skin this cat!;)

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Hate to disagree bob, but his engine has three plugs. Accepted method is to drain oil by removing all three plugs with the engine vertical. Then when drained, replace the bottom drain plug and fill through the fill hole until oil comes out the vent hole (They are marked). Let engine stand for about 1/2 hour to let air bubbles rise and top off oil. Replace fill and vent plugs. Tighten well to prevent leaks.

Jiggz

Captain

Thanks Frank. I understand some of the 120's and smaller engines only has two plugs (one vent and fill/drain) but this particular 125 has three as you've mentioned.