94 Celebrity Status 200 Volvo Motor

mkbarrett2

Recruit
I am considering buying a 1994 Celebrity Status 200. Its a 20' Open Bow with a Volvo Motor. I can't find out what type of quality the Celebrity was in 1994? What should I check before Buying it? Was there anything they were not particularily good at? Why can't I find many of them for sale? Did they have any special type of engine cooling? How are they different than a Sea Ray, Rinker, Bayliner, etc? The guy is asking $4,600. IS this a good price? What should have been replaced by now?

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 94 Celebrity Status 200 Volvo Motor

Welcome aboard :D

I'd be more concerned about wood rot than anything... Invest in a survey if you really love the boat.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

In a 1994 boat, brand name means little. Your biggest concern is rot in the wooden components of the hull. You want a solid deck and transom. ANY soft spots are usually indicative of more serious rot below in the stringers. This type of damage is repairable but it's a big job. Your second biggest concern is an obsolete powerplant which should not be an issue here with the Volvo.

That being said, the Celebrities I've seen on here have been really sharp boats. I believe they were a solid mid-range builder.

mkbarrett2

Recruit

View attachment 120724

I just tried to attach a photo of the floor. It appears to be chipping away where the floor meets the FRP floor in the Bow Area. There is also a crack in the back where the motor cover is. I walked on it and it is a little softer in the damaged areas than in other areas with no floor damage. How hard, or expensive is it to repair/ re-finish the floor of these boats?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Picture didn't work. Click the "Go Advanced" button when posting if you want to upload a picture.

It is a very big job to repair a rotted deck/ stringers and the materials aren't exactly cheap. I would only undertake it is a got the boat extremely cheap or I already owned it.

The problem is that very often boats rot from the bottom up. So by the time you've got a soft spot in the deck, your stringers are trashed. Most people that cut out a deck for replacement uncover a real mess underneath.

mkbarrett2

Recruit

Front Floor.jpg (132.9 KB)

I question if the black under where the floor has chipped back is rotting wood, or some other sub floor?

Attachments

• Front Floor.jpg
    Front Floor.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 0

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

Deal breaker...