Swapping carb between '71 Johnson and '73 Evinrude

84toyota

Seaman Apprentice
I'm wondering if I could swap carbs between a '71, 25 hp Johnson and a '73, 25 hp Evinrude? The Evinrude is a parts motor... The '71 is needing a carb rebuild. They both look identical, but seem to have different part numbers on the Shop.Evinrude.com website. Does anyone know if there are any real differences in the early to mid 70's Johnson/Evinrude 25 hp carburators?

Thanks,
Ken

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Swapping carb between '71 Johnson and '73 Evinrude

The body assembly has a different part number between '71 and '73, so there is a difference somewhere. But I have no idea what that difference is. My guess is that they will swap. On the other hand, you may discover the difference if you try it.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

That will work just fine but why not just clean the carb you have? The donor carb will need to be gone thru before you use it anyway.

84toyota

Seaman Apprentice

I will likely just rebuild the '71 carb that is already on the motor. I'm just curious to know if they would swap. The '73 carb is already completely torn down, so I thought I would start with a rebuild on it. I'll probably just clean and rebuild both, then have a spare. They appear to be the same.

Ken