Pressure testing closed cooling system

Speakrdude

Ensign
I deff. have a leak somewhere.
88 Merc. 5.7 MIE.
Fill up the HE with antifreeze, not there anymore!
No signs of water in the oil.
Been reworking this boat for a while. Engine has been sitting for a while. Have a stanton psi tester. Right off the bat, there is a leak in a copper joint at the cooler. I can pump it up and hear some leakage inside the engine somewhere.

My question is, will the long period of sitting cause a little leak? Should I fire it up for a bit, then test?

Just replaced the exhaust man block off with the good gray ones. (no more green ones.) Havent run it since then.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Pressure testing closed cooling system

I deff. have a leak somewhere.
88 Merc. 5.7 MIE.
Fill up the HE with antifreeze, not there anymore!
No signs of water in the oil.
Been reworking this boat for a while. Engine has been sitting for a while. Have a stanton psi tester. Right off the bat, there is a leak in a copper joint at the cooler. I can pump it up and hear some leakage inside the engine somewhere.

My question is, will the long period of sitting cause a little leak? Should I fire it up for a bit, then test?

Just replaced the exhaust man block off with the good gray ones. (no more green ones.) Havent run it since then.

Ayuh,..... Where, Exactly,..??..??

Speakrdude

Ensign

maybe down inside the manifold or in the head. Hard to tell. Should I fill up with fluid first or test with it low?

achris

More fish than mountain goat

...My question is, will the long period of sitting cause a little leak?

No.

Speakrdude said:
Should I fire it up for a bit, then test?

NO!

Speakrdude said:

You have the pressure tester, find the leak!

achris

More fish than mountain goat

maybe down inside the manifold or in the head. Hard to tell. Should I fill up with fluid first or test with it low?

Pull the hoses off the manifolds and plug them. Pressure up the engine block/heads. If that holds pressure, test each manifold.... Too easy.. :D

(I use air. If you have a fixable leak (not the block) then you aren't filling the engine with liquid)

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Do ya Hear it through the carb,..??
Pull the sparkplugs, 'n listen...
Listen through the exhaust pipes...
Listen through the oil fill, or dipstick, Whatever it takes...

Use Air, so ya can Hear it...
Water just leaks, No sound...