85 HP Evinrude no spark

13crazyhorse

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a mid 70's 85 HP 4 cyl evinrude outboard. It used to run fine but now I have no spark. Can somebody help me troubleshoot this thing so I can determine the cause? Thanks for any input on this.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 85 HP Evinrude no spark

A model # would help to make sure exactly what mtr you have.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

As boobie said, OMC changed the ignition systems periodically, so it's hard to know just what system you have without the exact year. Once you know the exact year, you can find some excellent ignition troubleshooting at this website: cdi.com.

13crazyhorse

Petty Officer 2nd Class

According to the model #85995R it's a 79. I'll check the cdi.com site, thanks.

13crazyhorse

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Tried cdi.com and it's a medical website, are you saying I need a psyciatric evaluation? You could be right on that count but I'd just like a little help with my boat for now!

Dewaynep

Cadet

The first thing I would do is disconnect the motor from the remote control box by unplugging the cannon plug at the motor. Then, with all of the spark plugs removed and a spark tester installed, jump the starter solenoid on the motor and see if you get spark then (should jump a 7/16" gap and be nice and blue). Could be as simple as a bad starter switch at the remote control. But I like to check the simple things first.

13crazyhorse

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Good call Wayne! I unplugged the connection inside the engine cover and there is spark again. Must be something from that point forward. Thanks for the tip, I'm new to outboards and like to keep things simple. This time it worked.