Pitot type pickup placement? Where on the transom do I mount this?

rebuilt

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've got a completely new transom, inside and out. So... there are no old reference points. I don't know where to mount the pitot pickup in relation to waterflow or water level height as relates to the hull in the water. I've read what posts are available for this topic and am well aware of the limitations of an J/E OEM pitot speedo. But this project is over budget in time and money, and I've got to make do with what I've got. The pickup is J/E OEM. Some help is needed on this one. I've got the old transom skin for the left to right orientation, but don't have a clue as to how far in the water to place the pickup. As a 2nd thought, I shot 2 pics, hows this look??Thanks in advance, Kevin

Attachments

• IMG_1508.jpg
    IMG_1508.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1507.jpg
    IMG_1507.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Pitot type pickup placement? Where on the transom do I mount this?

Locate and install the pitot tube assembly on the transom in a vertical position, as far away from the propeller blade tips as practical. The intake hole must also be 1-1/2" or more below the bottom of the hull. Do not place behind any runner or keel as this will affect it?s accuracy. Make sure and use plenty of 3M 4200 to seal the holes and screw threads when installing.

rebuilt

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Pitot type pickup placement? Where on the transom do I mount this?

Thanks Wood, you've been a big help as this thing has taken shape.