Water heater

Jamie 10017

Seaman
I need to replace the electric water heater with a heat exchanger that is in my boat. Any opinions on what brand is better than others? I'm thinking around a 12 gal size should be about right for my needs Thanks Jamie

Fireman431

Rear Admiral
Re: Water heater

What size boat? How many people aboard? Do you have a shower (transom or head based)? How do you know a 12 gallon is the size you need? What is currently there? Why not replace the existing water heater with an exact match?

I have a 37' boat and shower gets used often by 4 people (not at once :D), My water heater is only 11 gallons and we have never run out of hot water because it is so easy to heat a smaller quantity. By using a heat exchanger based system, you'll only have hot water if the engines were recently used. Also look into a dual setup. They are used on RV's quite often. Heat exchanger or electric, depending on need.

Jamie 10017

Seaman
Re: Water heater

There is only 2 people aboard, and It has a transom shower and a head shower along with a sink on the deck and one in the galley along with one in the head. The water heater that that was there is gone, I bought the boat as a project to restore It has the hook ups to connect to the engine and also the electric. What brand heater is in your boat? Is it a dual or strickly electric. Thanks for the reply Jamie