Fuel leak where fuel line attaches to bottom of carb

jspringator

Chief Petty Officer
I just had a new fuel pump put on. When winterizing today, I noticed a steady drip of fuel from where the metal fuel line attaches to the base of the carb. Looks like a brass compression nut holding on the line.

Is this something a simple tightening of the compression nut will cure, or should I plan on something else? Is there a O ring in there that goes bad?

Don't suggest I take it back. What a nightmare. I broke down on the other end of the lake and had to use a different shop.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Fuel leak where fuel line attaches to bottom of carb

Post some pictures, there shouldn't be any fuel lines supplying fuel to the base of the carb, and for sure not a compression fitting. Not sure what you have there.

jspringator

Chief Petty Officer

Boat is 100 miles away. It has an 89 OMC 5.8L with 4bbl carb.

Bridar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It sounds like you're referring to the fuel inlet connection on your Holley 4 bbl. When the fuel pump was replaced, its possible that the (rigid) fuel line to the carb may have experienced some excess movement, which could have resulted in the fuel leak at the carb connection.

Loosten the fuel line at the carb and then tighten it securely. If it continues to leak, remove the fuel line and inspect the condition of the flared end. It may need to be delicately re-shaped with the help of a flaring tool. If it's damaged or cracked, the fuel line will need to be replaced (BRP part #0985728).

If the cause of the fuel leak is a damaged inlet filter nut, it will need to be replaced. While you're at it, install a new inlet filter element.(these parts & more are included in BRP carb kit #0986784).

jspringator

Chief Petty Officer

Thank you. Exactly what I needed to know.

jspringator

Chief Petty Officer

Don't I need a flare nut wrench for this? Do you know the size? I hate to buy a set when I'll probably never need it again.

Bridar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You'll need a 5/8" wrench. A flare nut wrench is best but a good fitting open end wrench will work. The fuel line is 3/8" ID.

jspringator

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks again.