Johnson Javelin 100hp cannot troll

cmmbkw

Recruit
I just bought a used 1979 100hp Johnson javelin outboard from michigan. I live in colorado at an elevation of 9200ft. Motor runs great at full speed but is hard to start. Cranks for a while before firing. It also wont troll. Seems like it loads up after trolling for several minutes and dies. The only way to get it started is to choke it and push the warm up lever all the way up. When approaching the dock to leave in a no wake zone it also will load up and die. I am thinking mixture and or jets.

Thanks for any ideas.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: Johnson Javelin 100hp cannot troll

Possible you may need to overhaul the carbs. You may have some restrictions in the small idle fuel passages of the carbs. If one of two of those passages get restricted, the engine won't idle well. You can clean them out only by disassembling them. Pull all the jets and visually inspect them for any restrictions. Use a cleaner which will actually dissolve dried fuel, like a Gumout type product for carbs. You may also have an altitude issue with the carb jetting. Stock jetting should work fine at sea level. Higher altitudes typically require less fuel. You may be able to get some assistance from Bombardier at their customer help line: 1-847-689-7090.