Did I pay too much for this Johnson outboard?

NoEcm

Petty Officer 3rd Class
1990 Johnson 6hp Longshaft. J6RLESR (sat in the guys garage for the last 21 years unused)

Craigslist find that I ended paying $780 for (included a used 6gallon OMC Fuel Tank. The guy said he sold the original unused 3 gallon tank at his garage sale last summer).

I got out to the sellers house and the outboard was on a sawhorse sitting in the back of the garage. It was covered with dust and sawdust and the hood was still in the original plastic bag. He pulled it out into the driveway where the light was better so I could inspect it.

Just glancing at it I could tell that it was unused. Pulled the cover off and that was confirmed. The original paper inspection stickers were still intact; one on the clamp and one under the cover..

I pulled the sparkplugs and ran a compression test. 80psi on both cylinders. A little low but I figured that would improve once the rings were seated and broken in.

Shifted it into forward and pulled the rope. Propeller turned OK. Shifted it into reverse and pulled the rope. Propeller turned OK.

Got the outboard home and cleamed it up with soap and water. The thing looks new now.

IMG_5227.jpgIMG_5228.jpgIMG_5229.jpg

At $780 did I pay too much for this outboard?

jasper60103

Commander
Re: Did I pay too much for this Johnson outboard?

Wow, that's a beauty. All I can say is I've seen 6hp go for cheaper, but never in that condition.

Rick.

Captain

Looks new that's for sure. Put some oil in your cylinders before you move the pistons anymore. Must be awful dry in there. This isn't the time to wonder if you paid too much, just enjoy it. Best of luck. Rick.

OptsyEagle

Lieutenant

Is it just me or do the spark plugs in picture #2 look like they got white paint on them. Perhaps it was just repainted.

NoEcm

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Is it just me or do the spark plugs in picture #2 look like they got white paint on them. Perhaps it was just repainted.

Back in the day, OMC assembled the crankcase with the spark plugs in them and then painted it. After painting, the rest of the stuff was then bolted on.

I nicked the paint on the spark plugs when I pulled them to run the compression test.

My 1988 Johnson 6hp had the same white paint on the spark plugs the when I bought it new also.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Well, I think you did good. If properly cared for, that motor will last at least 50 years without issue. It'll just need a new impeller from time to time and maybe a thermostat. What compression numbers did you get? Nice looking motor. If that's a re-paint, then someone went through a lot of work to remove everything that didn't get painted. I'm surprised that no one ever used it.

NoEcm

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I got 80psi on both cylinders. Seemed a little low but I figure that will improve once the rings get seated.

I have no doubt that this was an unused outboard, I even looked up the exhaust port on the gearcase and there wasn't even a hint us usage.

hidef

Lieutenant

80 psi is correct for the compression. You can tell the outboard was hardly used due to the starter cord still looking brand new. Make sure you run it first couple of tanks at 25:1 before switching to 50:1 as I doubt that engine has 2 hours on it. Nice buy by the way.

NoEcm

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Do I need to change the water pump impeller? Sitting there unused for 21 years couldn't be good for it could it?

duped

Petty Officer 1st Class

YES, change it. It's a rotted, cracked piece of junk.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Agreed. If you run it with this old of an impeller, pieces could break off and clog up your water passages. Other than that, just check and/or change your lower unit oil and plugs and hit the water.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

A used 6 in ordinary salt water condition around here would be $250-$450. I think you got a great deal under your circumstances. Go price a new one.

Best news is that it was stored standning up. Laid-down motors lock up. BTDT.

Rick.

Captain

80 psi is correct for the compression. You can tell the outboard was hardly used due to the starter cord still looking brand new. Make sure you run it first couple of tanks at 25:1 before switching to 50:1 as I doubt that engine has 2 hours on it. Nice buy by the way.
Good point about the richer mix to start out. I should have thought of that.LOL Rick.

NoEcm

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Since everything is still new, do I need the whole Water Pump Repair Kit or can I just buy the impeller and 2 gaskets?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Impeller and gaskets. You won't need a housing.

maineboat

Seaman

For the price of a new impeller and the time and simplicity of doing it, that's pretty cheap insurance for a motor that will last almost forever......just saying. :)