Running to rich

brokeallthetime

Recruit
When I run my 6hp Johnson, Model 6R78B the water in the barrel ends up with good quantity nof oil residue. I have had to replace the fuel pump. Low speed needle valve, needle packing washers and neoprene washer, but still see the oil residue. I would expect to see some residue, for a 2 cycle, but how much is too much and what can I do to correct?

jasper60103

Commander
Re: Running to rich

I'm no expert, but if it seems excessively messy (even for a 2 stroke) I would suspect your fuel mix or slow speed needle setting. What's your fuel mix?

garzilla

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Imo, if run in a barrel....you're going to have quite a bit of residue. It's got nowhere to go, so a little, looks like a lot.

How do your sparkplugs look?

FWIW, my 25hp, ran in a barrel....leaves a nice oil slick behind, and seems to smoke like a broke stove....but out on the water, you barely notice the smoke.

OptsyEagle

Lieutenant

The barrel is not the proper indicator. Set your carb jets properly and don't worry about what is in the barrel. Keep in mind that 2 strokes motors do not burn all the fuel. A reasonable amount of it goes right out the exhaust without burning. Since oil/gas is less dense then water it will float on the top of your barrel and look messy. All normal.