Bellows instal

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Bellows instal

Depends on what your working on.

lamphega

Petty Officer 2nd Class

1974 mercruiser I6 165hp. New gimbal bearing and grease seal in, finishing up shift cable new install.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Drive side first, then hook to transom shield.

ziggy

Admiral

another way to say it.
bell housing first, gimble housing last.
fwiw. keep the hing pins out while installing to the gimble housing. this allows you to move the bell housing closer to the transom, thus not having to stretch out the bellows as far during install.

don't ya got the service manual lamphega?
if not, ya can look at it here. #2. or buy it from mercruiser, or maybe get one off ebay (that'w where i got mine). or maybe someone still has the link to the pdf.? if yer lucky.

lamphega

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Actually I am being frustrated by routing of shift cable now. Not alot of room back there. What, I got to pull the engine to get the cable to go through?

ziggy

Admiral

getting the old one out or the new one in?

i tied a piece of twine to mine prior to removal. believe i striped the cable down to nothing on the inside of the boat. then pulled the core wire out, then the outer part of the cable. the twine was attached to the outer cable. to put it back, i put the outer cable in first. it just pushed through the hole in the transom. after i routed it (the outer part of the cable). i put the core wire back in. i think that was the sequence i did it in. i used the twine not so much as to help me pull on but more as to be sure i got it routed proper.

engine removal shouldn't be necessary.. least i got away w/o when i did mine.

edit. if trouble removing. there's a piece of coil plastic (anti chaffing for the part of the cable that goes through the transom) around the cable that sits right at the very back of the inside of the transom shield. this piece of plastic coil must be removed prior to removing the outer cable.

lamphega

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Great idea....wish I had thought of it before taking out old one :) I have electrical fish and that's my next try. It is just so hard to get my hand back there.