Gear oil leak

gmm44709

Recruit
Have noticed gear oil leaking from water intake holes on out drive. Recently purchased 1998 boat with 140 hp alpha one gen 2 outdrive. Boat has been out three times, maybe 10 hrs total since I bought it and it seems to be getting worse. Had out drive off to replace exhaust bellows and inspect universals etc. all good inside. I don't beleive oil is comming from top half of outdrive. Next I'm going to take only bottom half off and inspect and replace water impeller while there. My question, is there an oil seal there near the pump I should be paying close attention to and if so is it hard to replace. Also while the bottom half is off is there a seal in the bottom of the top half I should look at? Drained some oil out of bottom drain and looks good, no milky brown, only good clean oil. Thanx, George

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Gear oil leak

Time to remove the drive, drain the gear lube and so a pressure check of the drive to find the leak. The shift shaft bushing and seals along with the plastic carrier under the raw water pump are common leak locations.