Bimini - Am I missing somethin?

marcoalza

Chief Petty Officer
I have a Q4 and when the bimini is down, the hinge and rear arm are rubbing on the body of the boat.
I'm pretty sure that I may be missing a part here to prevent this.
At the moment I wrap a couple of old T Shirts around the hinge to prevent scartching.
Looks really lovely:facepalm:

Any ideas?

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 0

sigfire

Cadet
Re: Bimini - Am I missing somethin?

Hello Marcoalza,
I too have a Q4 and have had the same problem. I have tried using PVC setups to hold it up, t-shirts etc. One thing i did do was get the white non-skid tape and put it on top of the gunwales for the rubbing. My next idea is to use the foam kakak blocks that the bimini supports will hopefully rest in and then tie it down. here is what i was thinking.
http://www.amazon.com/Equinox-Kayak-Foam-Block/dp/B0049HUTBK or if that link does not work then type in foam kayak blocks in your search engine. hope this helps.

fishrdan

Admiral

As sig suggested, sticking down a rub strip over the gelcoat would be the best idea, I'd think. If you put something soft on the bimini frame, to keep it from digging into the gelcoat, it's still going to scuff or discolor after a while, buffed to a higher polish or scratched from dirt in the cloth, possibly wearing through the gelcoat after a long time.

Pipe insulation applied to the frame tubing would hold the tubes off the gelcoat, but still have the wear problem. Would be kind of ugly too....

marcoalza

Chief Petty Officer

Appears to be after market install/ replacement??

I don't think it is. Every Tahoe I've seen has a similar setup.

I've just found this picture of a Q4 review and there is something on the bimini lifting it off the boat.
Something fishy going on here!!

Attachments

• Tahoe Bimini.JPG
    Tahoe Bimini.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 1

hpeeler

Seaman Apprentice

Mine has the same issue. Even though the frame has a plastic block on each side, I still don't like the way it sits so I use 2 short pieces of a swimming noodle and put it around the frame when towing. I also use a bungie to secure it to the tow ring. Hope this helps

marcoalza

Chief Petty Officer

Pipe insulation applied to the frame tubing would hold the tubes off the gelcoat, but still have the wear problem. Would be kind of ugly too....

I too thought of of the pipe insulation idea and have scoured Deubai plumbers for some and cannot find any!
Don't think I've ever seen an insulated pipe here, not much frost......:D

I can't believe that Tahoe would miss that issue in their design.:confused:

briborg

Cadet

There should be a sliding part on each side of the support tubes. This part fits into the rear support mount on the boat into the same place where the tube locks into place when the Bimini is up. I know this may sound confusing, I am out of the country now otherwise I would take a picture of mine and it would be very clear. Does could anyone take a picture of the piece that I am talking about to help these guys out?

I had the same question until I investigated the problem closer and figured out what that sliding piece is for. I started using it all of the time and it worked well. but my problem now is that the vibration must have shaken it loose and now I am missing the part on one side does anyone know where to order or get a replacement. Who makes the stock Bimini for Tahoe?

briborg

Cadet

Yes this is exactly the piece that I am so badly trying to explain. The company that makes the quick release is Accon here is a link to their site I think that the needed parts can be ordered from them. This is the hardware used on my boat (2010 Q5sf) older models may use something different.

I hope this helps

http://www.acconmarine.com/c-10-quick-release-bimini-hinges.aspx

supercrewser

Seaman Apprentice

Alum Creek boat.jpgI might be a little late to the party but I had the same issue and found "trailering struts" to be the missing part. The rear support gets clipped up with the plastic block and the trailering support goes in to the quick connect mount.Hope th pic helps explain although its not the best picture.

marcoalza

Chief Petty Officer

View attachment 123934I might be a little late to the party but I had the same issue and found "trailering struts" to be the missing part. The rear support gets clipped up with the plastic block and the trailering support goes in to the quick connect mount.Hope th pic helps explain although its not the best picture.

That is exactly what I need and you are not too late!
Are these Tahoe parts? Where did you get them?

Thanks for the reply sc.

supercrewser

Seaman Apprentice

I believe you can go through tracker marine to get them ,but my marina had them in stock and put them on. You should be able find them. Did your boat come with the bimini or did you have it installed? In my case the marina where I bought the boat installed the top from Tracker Marine and I believe they get their parts from Tracker.

Mordekai

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hm I need these struts also, I think this will also help with the cover not sagging totally when covered and allow better air flow, pls if you can find the part #, it would be great

supercrewser

Seaman Apprentice

Not sure I can get the Part number but if you go to a local marina or Bass Pro Shop they will be able to help you .. As far as the cover goes I had to have mine modified to fit around the poles of the bimini top cause it wouldnt fit with out it. I have a bit of a loose fitting cover just in front of the windshield but I will add another pole/leg and that should take care of that.

marcoalza

Chief Petty Officer

I believe you can go through tracker marine to get them ,but my marina had them in stock and put them on. You should be able find them. Did your boat come with the bimini or did you have it installed? In my case the marina where I bought the boat installed the top from Tracker Marine and I believe they get their parts from Tracker.

My boat came with the Bimini fitted.
Looks exactly the same as yours.
I am in Dubai and there is no Tracker dealers here, and from what I can see, Tracker don't do mail order.

If we can get a part number and supplier from somewhere.....
Any ideas.......anyone!

dhildebrand

Seaman Apprentice

My 2010 Q7 doesn't have trailering struts. I am in the process of making a pair of my own using the Dowco QR hinges (only available through Tracker) and some short pieces of tubing, and eyes. I'll have about $150 in them. THey will fasten onto the same buttons that my top fastens to. dowco fitting.jpg

dhildebrand

Seaman Apprentice

100_3245.jpg

As stated I used the Dowco Quick Release hinge, two internal eyes a hinged slide (so I didn't have to take apart the top) and a 2 inch piece of 7/8 tubing. Hopefully this will keep the top off the deck!