Changing the water pump

239scott

Cadet
Hi all,
I am looking to change out the water pump in a 89 Evinrude 3 h.p. Am I going to have to remove the power head to get the lower foot off? I took the two bolts out holding it on but it only dropped like 1/8 of an inch. Is that because there is a gear arm running up there that is parallel to the shaft that needs a bolt removed to come out? The motor has forward and neutral, if that is relevant.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Changing the water pump

Sounds like the d/s splines might be seized in the p/h. The model # would also help so we know we're both on the same page.

239scott

Cadet

Model # is E3BRCEC . I saw a post on youtube where there was a shift shaft that had to be disconnected but it was on a much older model. I am hoping I dont have to go through all that just to change the impeller. I havent tried to pry it off yet as not to damage anything.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I happen to have a 1989 manual in front of of me and all it says is to remove the two bolts holding the g/c on and then remove. Hope this helps. Send me a PM with your first name and phone # as I live in Bonita Springs.

239scott

Cadet

Something is still not right. Lower unit will not come off. Even after hammering a wedge in. I can see the gear switch moving like it connected somehow.