1999 Larson Transom

tds2675

Recruit
New to the boating world. I have a 1999 Larson that probably need a new transom. 1st, is it replaceable/repairable? 2nd, what will it cost to replace it if it needs completely replaced if it can be replaced? Thanks for any info or advice anyone can provide me.

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1999 Larson Transom

hi....welcome to i boats !

a 99 larson with a bad transom?....that ticks me off......the boat is only 13 years old.

ok....couple of questions.....how do you know the transom is rot? have you done core samples?......i would suspect that there might be some wet areas.....but totally shot?

yes the boat is repairable......2.5 k pro......800 diy.

please post pics and tell us why you think its shot.....we can and will guide you to finding out the problem....

cheers
oops

tds2675

Recruit

this is actually a buddys boat so i dont know a whole lot about it yet....and i dont have any pictures unfortuatly...i will try to find out some more information and post it. If it is just wet spots does that just mean there ia a crack or hole somewhere?

oops!

Supreme Mariner

this is actually a buddys boat so i dont know a whole lot about it yet....and i dont have any pictures unfortuatly...i will try to find out some more information and post it. If it is just wet spots does that just mean there ia a crack or hole somewhere?

no.......and yes.

in allmost every case of a bad transom that i have ripped apart.....it is because a owner screwed a transducer or pitot tube pick up into the transom with out properly sealing the holes. this causes water intrusion into the wood and rot starts.

take a drill bit....place tape on the drill bit about 1 1/4 inch from the tip.....this is a depth gauge......then drill into the transom from the inside ..... just go up to the tape.....

look at the wood shavings....are they dark ? are they wet......wet is ok and can be dried......but dark is rot....and rot will not stop.

drill several holes.....particuarly under any bolts or holes that go into or thru the transom.....

fill all drill holes with 3m 5200......fill not just seal.