Snowtober For the East

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral
Hard to believe a noreaster this early. Hope everyone has their watercraft winterized. I still have to drain and blow out my fresh water system and remove the filter.

Gun Dog

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Snowtober For the East

I don't place much weight on today's weather forecasters. Most of it's sensationalized just to get you tuned in. However. When I lived in Buffalo they would hit it right every time. Now transplanted to Philly I have never seen one accurate prediction. I believe, down here, there is a conspiracy. The food stores are paying off the weather stations to produce a forecast to aid in increasing store sales the day before the so called storm.

P.S what the people in Philly call a storm is just a dusting compared to what I'm used back home. I get a kick when they give them names like "Thunder Snow" or "October Snow".

It's winter! Pull out the big guns let's kill some deer. Break out the sleds and enjoy a warm bonfire.

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

It is an early snow for us here...not much as of right now,...some accumulation on the grass... not quite an inch yet. Boat is under cover and put up for the winter here.

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

I always wonder why people need to buy snow shovels here EVERY year...? What's up with that ? What happened to the shovel they bought last year ? :confused:

Gun Dog

Petty Officer 1st Class

I always wonder why people need to buy snow shovels here EVERY year...? What's up with that ? What happened to the shovel they bought last year ? :confused:

The newer models must work better.

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

Gun Dog,.. have you noticed how the stores sell out of snowshovels with each storm we get here ??

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Umm, in Buffalo predicting that it will snow in the wintr is like predicting the sun coming up in the east, you can't go wrong. :D

That is for sure. When I was in the Navy, I was home on leave in southern Ohio. I was being transfered to Brunswick Maine. My parents were so worried as I was pulling a U-Haul trailer behind my Gremlin. This was in December. They told me once I got to northern Ohio I would be hitting snow all the way to Maine. We got into Buffalo and it was snowing like it does. Once about 10 miles east of Buffalo it quit. There wasn't any more snow all the way to Maine, not even on the ground. It sure was different the following year in Maine though :D

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Gun Dog,.. have you noticed how the stores sell out of snowshovels with each storm we get here ??

And bread and milk. But there is always beer. Wait a minute, you're in PA. With PA beer, wine and liquor laws you are always out of beer!

Gun Dog

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't know where all those shovels go. I bet if some of those folks walked to the back corner of the garage they would find about six of them leaning against the wall.

I haven't seen snow stay on the ground long enough down here to shovel it. Just put the 250's 4 wheels in and two days later its all gone.

Umm, in Buffalo predicting that it will snow in the wintr is like predicting the sun coming up in the east, you can't go wrong. :D

It's harder to predict the sunny days back home. There is only about five full days of it a year!

Gun Dog

Petty Officer 1st Class

And bread and milk. But there is always beer. Wait a minute, you're in PA. With PA beer, wine and liquor laws you are always out of beer!

Those laws stink. Gov. Randell almost had them changed then left office. Bummer. A six pack of domestic beer, that you can only purchase from a bar, is selling for $7.50!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I'm a PA native. Used to go to a bar buy 2 6 packs, put them outside the door and buy 2 more. An expensive way to buy a case of beer. Wine and hard liquor only from State stores, what a joke. I said used to, moved to a place where you could buy beer and wine in the supermarkets and saved a mess of dough.

dennis461

Chief Petty Officer

They are most often made of the same material as raw water impellers, best to change every year...

Winterizing ?????

Going outside now to climb under the snow covered tarp and put a 60Watt lamp on my engine block :facepalm:

Fly Rod

Commander

With the water temp here around 58 degrees and nor'east winds we will only get rain but, if you go 10 miles inland they will get about 8 inches of the heavy snow.

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

we had an inch in philly... high winds, MISERABLE slush and rain all day and night... my parents at home in NJ got a few inches they said... it's some kind of world record :eek:

Fly Rod

Commander

Cape Ann was speared the snow. Heavy rain and winds gusting to 43mph., and just seven miles away they had four inches of snow. Drove around the city earlier and there were no trees down and never lost electrical power. now we just need to dry out. air temp was 35 degrees and ocean water temp is 54 degrees which prevented our area from getting snow with winds coming off the ocean.

skargo

Banned

Got about 3" here. It's still 2 months till winter! This is the earliest I remember snow here.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

We got about 5" but I really do not consider it early......... The weather forcast for the next few days is in the 40's so it will vanish soo.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

I am BBQing a beef brisket today! Come on down I'll make you a plate!

2011-10-30_11-07-07_434.jpg

Summer Fun

Banned

That looks good !!.
drool.gif
drool.gif
. :)

beau262

Cadet

To put a few things in perspective.
Here in Los Angeles, went lobster fishing twice this week, jeans and t-shirts, half mile offshore, till 10:00pm

And if you think East Coast news sources sensationalize an early nor'easter... you should hear the way our news sources hype up a multi day rain event (yes, I said event!). But we eat it all up, we leave the new on, we stare at the doppler radar, we go into work late and leave early.