F100 trim motor

jim mc

Cadet
Have a bad trim motor for this single ram 2002 f100, to remove the motor we need to release the ram from the top pin
to access to the bolts.
Need some guidence on how to proceede
Thanks
jim

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander
Re: F100 trim motor

I dont know if their the same but my 03 F90 has a circlip on the port side of the swivel bracket on a pin that holds the piston or tilt rod. might want to replace the bushings if they are plastic and worn like mine.

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade

HELLO JIM, I dont know how to reply to the personal mails. Remove the cir clip on the upper pin. Remove the tension on the unit and drive the pin out with a drift. Remove one of the bolts on the bottom pin and push the pin out. Nothing to it.
Now for the interesting part! If this is a salt water engine, chances are that 3 of the 4 mount bolts will shear. Dont panic. You will want to drill and easy out the broken shanks, you will break off the easy outs. The 3 bolts that broke off are in holes that are drilled straight thru the mount unit. Save yourself a lot of aggravation and drill the shanks straight thru. Then remount the motor flange with 1/4 in. diameter nuts and bolts. Thats the way it should have been done in the first place. The bolt that did come out is a blind hole, that is why it did not break.
I sure hope it is the motor that is bad, the relay is expensive, $ 414. regards FRED

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Forgot to mention. While you have the unit out, try to release the by pass screw. You may end up using a big straight slot bit in an impact wrench to get it to open. Start out with light hits and increase until it turns. FRED

jim mc

Cadet

First thanks for the replys,great site here.
The issue is that the single ram apears to be "let in" to the upper pin.
I need that ram to retract before driving the pin out

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I am a bit confused but my 115 could be different. The motor must be tilted up, ram extended to get to the upper pin. Should slide right out once you get weight off of it. Plan B, GOBI DESERT METHOD, would be removing the lower pin and lifting the leg, lock it up. You should be able to utilize the system by pass valve to raise the motor ( if it will open ) Remove either bolt on the lower pin and it should slide out in the opposite direction. Plastic bushings, should not be a problem. Cold up there today??? Sun just came out and it is 84 right now down here. Am feeling well today, think I will hit the beach tomarrow. First time since memorial day. regards FRED

jim mc

Cadet

Did a little research via YOUTUBE,from what i saw the ram might terminate in a hollow "T" fitting letting the pin pass through ?
Anybody come accross this.....................
& snow is falling in BKLYN

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade

CORRECT, upper pin is secured by an internal cir clip, should be on the right side. Remove that and the pin should drive right out to the left ( looking from the back of the motor ) The bottom pin is secured by bolts, one in each end. Remove one of either bolts and the pin should slide right out. You have to put a wrench on each bolt head to keep the pin from rotating. Once you get one of the bolt/ washers out, is just a matter of pushing the lower pin out.
Open the by pass valve if you can and raise the leg, you will see how easy the job is. FRED