New Boat owner.

Leaf1384

Seaman
Wow this site is amazing and so informative. I just bought a boat last week (1996 Sea Ray 175, w/3.0 Mercruiser) First, does anyone have any feedback on this particular boat? Second any ideas on what I should look for, it seemed to idle fine,shift and run good. The interior needs quite a bit of TLC, I have gotten alot done (cleaning, painting,stereo, wiring for bow light etc..) Is there a tilt and trim like an outboard? How should the motor be stored up or down? Any and all feedback will be greatly appreciated.

1980Coronado

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: New Boat owner.

Welcome...Sea Ray makes a solid boat...the 3.0 is darn near bullet proof, but eventually you'll want more HP. If you're water skiers, you're going to find that it's difficult to get an adult slalom skier outta the hole, but it'll do it if the skier is able to hold on long enough for the boat to get up and out. Tubing and wake boarding won't be an issue. Yes there is a tilt and trim, probably a thumb control on the throttle. You'll want to store it in the down position and remember to trim it back up before you take it down the road. If you live in a Northern climate, you need to get that thing winterized before it freezes...as in many of us have already done this. If you don't know how to do this and have an inclination to try it we can help, but if not, take it to a reputable marina to have it done. If you don't get the water out of the engine and it freezes you'll be replacing an engine block, exhaust manifolds, etc..

We like pictures....post some of your new ride.

cr2k

Captain

Like he said the 3.0 is a very good package BUT it needs to be maintained to last. If this is done is will last a long time if not it will be junk in a few years. In a 17 ft. boat it should be plenty of power for you. In a 19 ft. boat not so much. Congratulations on your purchase!
We are here to help. Have questions? Just ask. Winterizing is critical. Store with drive down to minimize the stress on the drive boot.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

My uncle has a 1995 175 with the 3.0. It has been used HARD since new for pretty much nothing but watersports and has been very reliable and capable. Just this year it was needing some work and the dealer had a real good deal on an immaculate 1998 185 also with the 3.0 so he picked that up and will be selling the 175. I think you'll be happy with it (at least until two-foot-itis sets in :p)

1980Coronado

My uncle has a 1995 175 with the 3.0. It has been used HARD since new for pretty much nothing but watersports and has been very reliable and capable. Just this year it was needing some work and the dealer had a real good deal on an immaculate 1998 185 also with the 3.0 so he picked that up and will be selling the 175. I think you'll be happy with it (at least until two-foot-itis sets in :p)

What's it called when you jump from a 16' I/O 4 banger to a 22' Inboard "pig block" :D

Leaf1384

Seaman

I can tell this site is going to be a HUGE help in my future. Thanks for all the input and advice. I wish I woouldve posted some interior before/after picts it really has come along ways in the short period of time. I also really enjoy spending time on it. I am in Central Florida as far as winterization. Reference the position of the lower end, I had to adjust it all the way down in order for it to fit in my garage. Thanks again.

1980Coronado

I can tell this site is going to be a HUGE help in my future. Thanks for all the input and advice. I wish I woouldve posted some interior before/after picts it really has come along ways in the short period of time. I also really enjoy spending time on it. I am in Central Florida as far as winterization. Reference the position of the lower end, I had to adjust it all the way down in order for it to fit in my garage. Thanks again.

You're welcome....the reason for storing it in the down position is to save wear and tear on the bellows and the tilt cylinders. When the outdrive is up the bellows (rubber parts like an accordion inside the outdrive) are stretched. Leaving the outdrive down keeps them in their relaxed position. Bellows are a pain in the butt to replace, but eventually they do crack and age just like all rubber parts....proper storage will lengthen their life expectancy. Oh...and quit braggin about the central Florida thing.....my boats in a barn until May...maybe April if I'm lucky. ;)

Leaf1384

Seaman

Lol Mark. I spent 30 years in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, so I feel your pain. Thanks again for the tips

meatyb

Seaman Apprentice

welcome theres a lot of very helpfull info on here.

i have a 97 sea ray 175 mine is a outboard (115 merc) and i love it. its a great boat. cant say much about the i/o part tho i'm an out board guy :D its still a great boat i know i love mine . good luck with it post some pics!!

Leaf1384

Seaman
Pictures.

Pictures.

These pics make it look better than it really does. She is coming along nicely, installed new steering wheel yesterday and will attempt to install new stereo and speakers tonight or tomorrow. (friendly advice, new boat owners should never go to Bass Pro Shop, we have no grocery money now). Should the stereo be wired direct so there is always power to it or wired in so the key has to be turned to Acc.? Thanks again.

2011-10-20 16.45.59.jpg2011-10-21 16.21.26.jpg

Philster

Captain
Re: Pictures.

You own a boat. You might never have grocery money again -- Bass Pro Shops or not!

;)

(In the accessory position, the hours meter is going to run in many cases, so you might not want to show additional engine hours to play the radio).

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Nice boat. Nice garage. Hope your enjoy your new stereo and respect those boaters in your listening area who are out there for the peace and serenity.

Thanks,

Mark

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Should the stereo be wired direct so there is always power to it or wired in so the key has to be turned to Acc.?

On my uncle's '95 175, it was direct wired from the factory.

Leaf1384

Seaman

Thanks for the remarks and advice. Ezmobee the cassetee player I removed was also wired direct, just wasnt sure if it was supposed to be, thanks. Mark its funny you say that I actually deal with something similar to that on a daily basis and could not agree more. Just like a little Jimmy Buffet while cruising some times

Leaf1384

Seaman

This particular boat doesn't have a hour meter but that is good to know, thanks.
You own a boat. You might never have grocery money again -- Bass Pro Shops or not!

;)

(In the accessory position, the hours meter is going to run in many cases, so you might not want to show additional engine hours to play the radio).

CaptainKickback

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Looks like an excellent choice for your first boat. Over the next year or two, you will learn tons: operation, maintenance, and very imporatantly, how you want to use a boat. You will learn what maintenance you didn't know to do (the boat will tell you). If you find you love boating, you will want a bigger boat, but by then, you will know exactly the kind of boat you want and how to maintain it.

Welcome to boating...

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Thanks for the remarks and advice. Ezmobee the cassetee player I removed was also wired direct, just wasnt sure if it was supposed to be, thanks. Mark its funny you say that I actually deal with something similar to that on a daily basis and could not agree more. Just like a little Jimmy Buffet while cruising some times

Hey man, I respect your desire for what you want to do and want the same in return. We can all have fun. The problem is the "guy" that takes it upon himself to serenade the neighborhood without first learning if anyone else is interested in his music, the volume, or his selection.

Best,

Mark