Left plug out - Now have water in the oil?

13crazyhorse

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Last week when I went out for the last ride of the year I committed the cardinal error, I left the plug out. After a few minutes of course I detected the problem and headed back to the dock. I had quite a bit of water in the bilge area. Upon draining the oil a few days later the oil had water in it. I drained it, filled it and after letting it run a few minutes, drained it again this time it had no water. Is it possible water got back up into my engine from the time I left the plug out? Thanks for any input on this ahead of time.

flashback

Captain
Re: Left plug out - Now have water in the oil?

I suspect it would depend on how deep the water was. My concern would be the starter motor, If it got submerged it probably won't last much longer....

cr2k

Captain

Unless your pan gasket is junk or your dipstick tube is loose isn't likely to get water in your oil unless the water got up to the valve covers.

But for sure your starter will need to be replaced soon.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Last week when I went out for the last ride of the year I committed the cardinal error, I left the plug out. After a few minutes of course I detected the problem and headed back to the dock. I had quite a bit of water in the bilge area..
Salt or frsh water???? Charlie

Bondo

Staff member

Last week when I went out for the last ride of the year I committed the cardinal error, I left the plug out. After a few minutes of course I detected the problem and headed back to the dock. I had quite a bit of water in the bilge area. Upon draining the oil a few days later the oil had water in it. I drained it, filled it and after letting it run a few minutes, drained it again this time it had no water. Is it possible water got back up into my engine from the time I left the plug out? Thanks for any input on this ahead of time.

Ayuh,.... How Much,..??

'n What motor,..??

Leardriver

Petty Officer 1st Class

How cold was the water?

Rather than heading back to the dock, I am a big fan of immediately jumping in the pond with the plug held tightly in hand, and putting it in while floating to keep the problem from getting worse. Then, the boat won't sink or be ruined while you run for the trailer, and the bilge pump will probably do its job and you'll be fine.

We've all done it, and the people who say that they've never left the plug out have their fingers crossed.

jimh1626

Petty Officer 2nd Class

How cold was the water?

Rather than heading back to the dock, I am a big fan of immediately jumping in the pond with the plug held tightly in hand, and putting it in while floating to keep the problem from getting worse. Then, the boat won't sink or be ruined while you run for the trailer, and the bilge pump will probably do its job and you'll be fine.

We've all done it, and the people who say that they've never left the plug out have their fingers crossed.

Or they are lying. I did it last week after installing a new engine. Took me 3 months off and on to get it done and I just plain forgot to put the plug in and launched. Quickly found plug and installed it from the inside, then jumped in the water and put in another from the outside. Happens to everybody sooner or later. Just have a plan when it does, and know where your plug is stored every time.

cr2k

Captain

Mine is kept on the steering wheel to remind me.

13crazyhorse

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had water about half way up the motor, late model 4.3 V6 fresh water.

greg82255

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I had a boat sink at the dock a few years ago - luckily it was sitting in water only 3 ft deep. I forgot to put the ladder up and it ended up getting ripped off the back while I was driving, and left a small pin hole in the transom. Water seeped in over night, eventually filled up the whole bilge. I got a phone call after it had been sitting for a few hours. Everything up to the intake was completely submerged - only the carb was above water. All electronics, battery, gas tank, completely submerged.

I had a few friends help me lift the boat up, drained all the water out with a sump pump, and changed the oil immediately - complete milkshake. Plugs out, cranked over for 90 seconds, plugs back in. Drained the gas tank and filled with fresh gas. Started motor and it fired right up. I let it run for a few minutes and changed the oil again. Ran it again and changed it one more time until all the milk was out. I was very lucky - the only thing that went bad was the ignition coil. Everything else was working fine up until this June when I sold the boat. Sometimes you get lucky. You can get rid of that milkshake in your oil pan, but I'd be worried about everything else that was submerged.