float height

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: float height

Turn carb upside down with floatbowl removed. Is float parellel with carb? If not, adjust intill it is! Good luck!

ANGEL-1

Cadet

i think monte has it backwards. the float should be parallel to the carb body when the carb is held in its normal mounted level position. turning the carb upside down simulates the carb shutoff position when the fuel bowl is full of fuel. I don't know that specific motor but the 40-55 hp models run 1-1/8 to 1 5/8 in , with 1 1/2 inches considered about right when measured from carb body to lowest level of float when holding your gauge or rule square and 90 degrees to the carb body

ANGEL-1

Cadet

clarification...the 1 1/2 in is measured with the carb upside down and measured to the lowest part of the float . which actually is the top of the float when you turn the carb right side up
. also make sue the float sits level left to right and doesn't have a twisted look to its position. if the base of your float has a small metal tab this is where the bend is made to adjust the height, but DON'T PUSH DOWN ON THE NEEDLE VALVE OR YOU WILL DAMAGE IT

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I think Monte had it right the first time. You always set the float level with the carb bowl upside down and have it level with the base of the carb.

Blazinmonkey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

"I think Monte had it right the first time. You always set the float level with the carb bowl upside down."
agreed...
thats how is set my carbs...

Thanks guys but these engines use a sliding float so it's always parallel to the float bowl. There is a figure for the height of the linkage from the base of the float bowl gasket to the top of the float, that's what I need.