Rustoleum???? Will it make it a summer under water?

clintbeastwood

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm allmost ready to paint. I have a clean hull with a coat of hard paint over the gellcoat that was on it. Its pretty well sanded & scuffed up from removing the soft paint that was over the grey hard paint. Can I use Rustoleum industrial enamel, I know people use it for top paint and bottom paint but not sure if they leave them in the water all year. I have a trailer but hope not to use it but once a year to clean up bottom. Its a 1981 27' american mariner.

JDA1975

Lieutenant
Re: Rustoleum???? Will it make it a summer under water?

While the Rust-Oleum is a cheap option for those of us who trailer our boats, I think the commonly quoted number is 4 days in the water tops....If your planning to leave it in the water year-round, your going to need a proper bottom paint

clintbeastwood

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok thats what I was afraid of.
thanks jda

clintbeastwood

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yeah I hate to sound so cheap but I got to start my starcraft too. Floors , fix some leaks (about 20,000), I think i'll save the rusto job for it. You guys are putting out some nice paint jobs on here!

JDA1975

Lieutenant

I cant vouch for the durability of my paint job yet, but I think the rusto definitely came out looking good. However, mine has been curing now like 3 weeks and to prove a point to my wife I drug a screwdriver across it and it did not leave much of a scratch at all (I did this where the cap will overlap..I'm not crazy!)

clintbeastwood

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Man the prices on this bottom paint is crazy!! But I dont want to be messing with it in May because the paints coming off in sheets!!! The American is gona be my small lake house/kids playground/diving board/rope swing/whatever.

clintbeastwood

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Can anyone open my pic's? I can at home but not at work? Sometimes a pic pops on screen then sometimes I get the Attachment thing. I might just have to get the bride to correct me!!:)

clintbeastwood

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Attach=config]120091[/attach]

Attachments

• my boat.jpg
    my boat.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 1

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

For your 27 footer I'd recommend you look at the Interlux products. That seems to be one of the big choices for the guys that leave their boats in the water long term.