What's This Ooze?

pscrabber59

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 1996 Evinrude 4hp that is ooze-ing out from a tiny hole right near the top bolt of the prop.
Changed the LU oil last month and warmed-up for 5 mins today and stored in garage and three hrs. later i had a silver-dollar sz. puddle of this milky-grey stuff coming from that hole.

Any and all advice will be most appreciated to fix this problem. It smells like LU oil&water mix.001.jpg001.jpg

Xcusme

Commander
Re: What's This Ooze?

Well...it looks like un-burned oil and water mix that has blown past your cylinders....which is ..NORMAL

pscrabber59

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well...it looks like un-burned oil and water mix that has blown past your cylinders....which is ..NORMAL

I thought un-burned 2-stroke oil was darker in color?
This goop is greyish. It's not 2-stroke residue, i think its a lu oil leak.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

most of the time when people have this, it's unburned oil from the exhaust and sea water, but you are right, it shouldn't be white and it shouldn't smell like LU oil, which has a distinctive smell. Moreover you just were messing with the LU oil.

The hole looks like the port for the LU oil? Is it threaded? Motors have various mysterious holes in them but I don't know your motor.

Are you sure you changed the LU oil correctly and put it in the right place? There generally isn't any wa for it to travel up the motor.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Drain the oil and have the L/U pressure tested. Takes away all doubt.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

the color of the "ooze" depends on what brand of oil you're using. If the lower unit oil doesn't match the color of the ooze, then you're okay, because then it's only unburned two stroke oil. If the lower unit oil comes out matching the color, then you need new seals. For a 4hp direct drive model, seals are cheap because there are only a couple in the whole lower unit.

pscrabber59

Petty Officer 1st Class

It's same color as lu-gear oil kinda amber color mixed with water.
The Upper lu screw's seal is showing so i think when i changed the oil last month i rushed a bit and did'nt seat the seal correct. I change them out this weekend.

Thanks guys again

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

My 2 stroke outboards all ooze that color and it was always the gas/oil mix unburned. My guess is LU oil can provide the same look, it wont be hard to check the LU. And go buy about 10 drain screw gaskets for all your future LU oil changes, that way a new one goes in every season when you change it out.

WernerF

Petty Officer 1st Class

Gear oil has that typical disgusting smell, especially used gear oil. I always need to dispose the cloths contaminated with it. Have you noticed this ooze smell like this?