Funny things you find at the lake in pictures!

jjacobs007

Lieutenant
Have your camera ready, and show your pictures of stuff you find at the lake here.

I have seen many things,like sunken boats near shore,lures,anchors,old pop cans,coins,and many others.
Lets show what we have found,this should be good right!

Attachments

• pontoon upside down.jpg
    pontoon upside down.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 1
  • streamliner fishing pole 003.jpg
    streamliner fishing pole 003.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 1

pikefisherman

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Funny things you find at the lake in pictures!

I don't have a picture but I was ice fishing once and caught a fishing pole.

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

I have no pic either, but last year I saw a couple w chairs, small tent,etc, and a baby's playpen, no boat, on a very small sandy beach on the shore of a state park that only offers primitive camping w miles of hiking trails and remote campsites w no ammenities besides flat spots for tents and fire rings. Two weeks later I went by again and everything was still there and halfway underwater. I assumed they had some emergency and had to leave in a hurry.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

randomsummerpicsandboatwerx016.jpg

jjacobs007

Lieutenant

That mercury had power huh!

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

Is that a half pipe on deck? I looked again and see what looks like scateboards stacked in front of it!! I did'nt know they made floating scateboards!

sasto

Captain

This sign!!!
attachment.php

nav sized.jpg

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

That sign should be on the bridgewalk to discourage jumpers!!

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I've spent my life beach combing an uninhabited barrier island, as well as a lot of time on undeveloped beaches, and have found many strange things. We get some navy stuff--rations, shot-up drones, weather balloons, magnesium flares (great fun for us as teenangers to light off pieces in a neighborhood). Commercial fishing stuff--nets, bouys, markers. Shipwreck pieces, channel marker bouys,Indian tools, small boats and even larger ones (a 40' wooden sailboat that broke up in the next tides, for example, but it was occupied so I guess it doesn't count). I have 4 cable spool coffee tables. natural stuff: a whale, many dolphins and sharks, turtles, a sturgeon, a 7' ray with one wing tip bitten off by a shark--one bite the size of a trash can lid, fossils.

Saw a body in a survival suit floating in the surf; scared the cr*p out of my wife and I; we were just driving down the beach at sunset and there it was. Ended up being a training dummy (float in a suit) that someone failed their training! But I was right apprehensive wading out and rolling it over.
As a boy out there, came across a whole bunch of gallon paint cans; we kicked them around like soccer balls, threw them in the surf, etc. The following week someone opened one and found they all contained high explosives, "red cargo" that washed off the deck of a ship--too dangerous to carry inside the hold!

rivermouse

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Here you go.....3560071678_d1fd41e1a1.jpg

jjacobs007

Lieutenant

streamliner fishing pole 003.jpgAnyone have any info on this pole,its all metal

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

View attachment 120710Anyone have any info on this pole,its all metal

it is an old generic fishing pole, popular in the 1960's, and earlier/later. Yard sale value= $3. Made for a bait caster reel. The cork handle is good for hooking your hooks in to when you stow it.

In the lower Chesapeake Bay at the various bridges where people fish for stripers, it is not at all unusual for people to (a) lose poles overboard and (b) for someone else to hook them and retrieve them, and keep using them. Some people have found their own pole, or returned found ones through local fishing forums.

Mel Taylor

Chief Petty Officer

View attachment 120710Anyone have any info on this pole,its all metal

According to my Uncle, Archie Taylor (of blessed memory), steel rods were fairly popular in the 1950's (and maybe even in the 1940's?). He claimed they were good bait casting rods for their time. Then stories began to circulate about fishermen getting struck by lightening while using them. People got afraid of them and that was the end of the popularity of steel rods. If I ever manage to acquire one in good shape I'm going to put a decent reel on it and try it for a day of bass fishing just to see how well it does.

I suspect that the lightening stories were urban legends but that wouldn't have made any difference if enough people believed them.

As for the lightening stories being the reason for the end of the popularity of steel rods, who knows? Uncle Archie certainly believed that was the case. It may have been simply that better rods made of other materials became available and people switched to them.

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

A friend just bought one at an antiques place for cheap. Old baicaster too. It still had the string on it!!! and seems to function.

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

amphwht.jpg[/ATTACH]
They have an AMPHCAR get togeather here at the lake every year. There were 5 this year.

jjacobs007

Lieutenant

View attachment 120810View attachment 120809
They have an AMPHCAR get togeather here at the lake every year. There were 5 this year.

kinda funny looking to me, but the best part is, you dont have to move all the crap from truck to boat,and launching is a drive away.As far as serious fishing its weird.Who buys and restores these?I would like to know the there feelings.

LongLine

Chief Petty Officer

My Dad had one of those steel rods, about 4 ft long, from back in the 30's. I'll never forget how it doubled over when he caught a 10# steelhead on it. He nearly broke his wrist. I still have it in my closet.

Tom B.
(LongLine0

CaptainKickback

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Don't have picks and haven't seen it for years, a guy had put a full sized, bright red, city bus on a set of pontoons (just north of Fort Lauderdale). On calm days he woulod take it out on the ocean. Of course from any distance, you could not see the pontoons. Imagine how a bus going across the water looks!