Detonation controller assembly and timing

20vector

Petty Officer 3rd Class
i have a 1998 200 efi mariner offshore.i see the wire that comes out of detonation module thats suppose to go to detonation sensor and it is cut and now goes to a ground. does that mean now that detonation controller assembly is not advancing my timing now. i read if detonation controller detects that if detonation is not present it advances timing 6?- 8?. i didnt know since wire is now cut if it stills advances timing or not or if since cut and grounded that it will never detect detonation and will advance timing like normal. cause on mercury manual it says set WOT timing @ cranking speed at 16? BTDC. it set this low because of detonation controller assembly will advance it. but since wire is grounded and if not working ill set it to where its suppose to be @ WOT while running which is 22? BTDC. when i got motor sensor was already gone and wire was grounded. another thing i wanted to ask was i heard since now running with ethanol gas that its better to set timing minus 2?.in my case instead of 22? it would be 20? @ WOT. or would it be best to set it where it suppose to be no matter what fuel is used. please help a brother out cause i think i got my timing wrong. dont want to cause any damage. if i do got my timing set to high what all would it do? thanks in advance :)

20vector

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Detonation controller assembly and timing

i just got done timing WOT @ 16? BTDC at cranking speed. it was set at 22? BTDC where i set it at like 8 months ago. 22? BTDC is setting for WOT while running. Question is even tho i set it at 22? @ cranking speed, when i got boat in water and running WOT will the ECU sence this and not advance timing as much or is it advancing timing 6? where its suppose to be? Another thing is while running WOT i was turning 5500 RPM's and now that i retarded timing will i lose RPM's? so say while i was running WOT and my timing was over advanced by 6? is there anything i want to do because it was running over timed? it was running pretty good, didnt notice anything. it was still doing the bogging issue every now and then like it did before i timed it. one more thing my motor must of had the heads replaced or at least the port side cause the spot where the knock sensor suppose to screw to is not there. see in a bunch of pictures where its suppose to be but on my motor theres no place for it there guess thats why they just grounded it. thanks all yall mariners

20vector

Petty Officer 3rd Class

was wondering if it was a good idea to completely remove this module and set timing at 22? BTDC? i know they say to do this with the idle stabilizers but not heard anything about the detonation modules. didnt know if they have issues like the idle stabilizers were having? thanks to all

Sprky

Petty Officer 1st Class

Pull the module, set the timing...........Go down the road.

20vector

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Was wondering what else i had to do to elimate this module? i know to set timing at the maxium WOT timing. Which is 22? BTDC. Wondering about the 2 whites with black stripes going to the 2 switch boxes? The 2 bias studs i believe? i dont believe they stay empty.

Sprky

Petty Officer 1st Class

Make sure the bias circuit is connected between the two boxes.

20vector

Petty Officer 3rd Class

so just make a jumper wire going from bias circuit of inner switch box and run it to bias circuit of outter switch box?