Please Confirm...... (Ted Williams model # 217-5949-0)

wadefisher

Cadet
model # 217-5949-0

I''ve somehow ended up with my Aunt's ex-husbands 1973 Sears Ted Williams 7.5 hp outboard. It was in pretty rough shape, but decided to go for it cause it seems fairly well made. 90% of it came apart with ease. The other 10% was another story. I now have it completely apart and ready for media blast, EXCEPT, the pinion gear in the lower unit is stuck on the drive shaft. Please confirm the drive shaft is suppose to slip on/off the pinion gear. Also, does the impeller slide on from the top down or bottom up?

Thanks

Wade

wadefisher

Cadet
Re: Please Confirm...... (Ted Williams model # 217-5949-0)

Thanks for the reply.

I have been to the searsparts web page. the drawing is terrible. My other outboards slip out no clip. I can't tell from the picture where the clip is and how to remove. Would you please summarize?

Wade.

M

mrcrabs

Low and behold this is the same engine/outboard I rebuilt last winter its a deluxe model, what you have below the water pump is the shaft seal and plastic carrier/retainer, below that is a very hard to remove c clip that holds the drive shaft in....I had to go to the boat shop and it took me and my buddy to catch and pry that clip out....you will notice when you take it out that the clips bottom side is flat and the top is rounded. Once you remove that clip your pinion will come off, watch out for the ball bearings, the shaft will come out and the bearings should stay but not for long unless you stuff a towel down there.

I hope this helps, I do have some spare parts but be careful spares are not cheap and its not cheap to set at a bearing house matching up parts, Oh yes and another thing, the gear at the rear of the housing that the pinon will not let out has needle bearings inside and if your not aware of them you could be looking all over for those little buggers.

best regards,
mrcrabs

wadefisher

Cadet

I think I will just leave it in place. Thanks for the insights.

Is there anything special about the "Deluxe" model?

Here's the list of parts I need:

1. FNR plastic shifter handle
2. transom mount screws and T-handles
3. front hood latch
4. base of impeller housing
5. Shift boot (next to impeller housing)
6. Gaskets (Not engine gaskets - I'm leaving the powerhead intact)
7. Steering Bracket Cover (Item #21, http://c.searspartsdirect.com/lis_png/PLDM/00035598-00004.png)

Let me know if you have any of these.

Thanks
Wade

M

mrcrabs

Yes the 1973 Ted Williams Deluxe 7.5 is a nice outboard for a Eska, thats why I wanted one in my collection plus I got it given to me....best part is it has reverse w/ the same gear seat as a 9.9/15hp and it has motor mounts which really help with vibration, the down side is the rod bearing at the crank used 66 split needles but the little engine can and will run with the best of them and there tougher than other aluminium rod 33 needle designs

I have these parts,
1. FNR plastic shifter handle
2. transom mount screws and T-handles, (mine are in bad shape) my not have T handles
3. front hood latch

and I have some stearing brackets parts, I believe I used some parts from there to bring my engine back to servicable condition