1991 yamaha kill switch removal

tavares

Cadet
I have a 1991 150 Yamaha on a Grady White. On several occasions recently I would try to start the engine and it would just crank over. I figured out that if I moved the kill switch / key a little, the engine would fire right up. Presume the switch is the problem and want to replace it before it creates a major problem. How do I remove the switch from the shifter? I won't get to the boat for a few more days, but I'd like to have a plan. As I recall there are 2-3 screws on the face of the shifter. Do I remove those? I'd rather get some advice before I start just unscrewing stuff. Not quite sure if I'll replace with an aftermarket dash mounted switch or opt for an OEM replacement - and I don't just want to bypass it. Price and availability will probably determine that. Thanks in advance for ANY help you can provide.

Inducted

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1991 yamaha kill switch removal

The 3 bolts are mounting bolts. Remove these bolts. remove side mount control. on the back of the control are screws holding on the upper panel and lower panel. Make sure these screws can be removed. some times they are frozen in and are tough to remove.

Remove the panels as needed to access the neutral safety switch. It is tough to get at but it can be replaced as well as the key switch. Make sure your yamaha dealer can still get the part. Good luck.