Starcraft SS's: 1976 + 1982 = 1 'new' boat

filltbo

Seaman
My sons showed a lot of interest in fixing up an old boat. So, after a lot of searching for 'good bones' we found 2 starcraft holiday project boats. I could not choose between them, so I got both! Interestingly enough, what one boat is missing, the other one has. I am starting this thread as a diary of events and a great place to get advice.

Boat 1 is a 1982 Starcraft Holiday. 140 hp Johnson and growing trees from the floor. A nice galvanized trailer came with the boat. 100_2494.jpggrayinterior.jpg

Boat 2 is a 1976 Starcraft Holiday with a 75 hp Johnson, and a trailer that literally was falling apart on the way to our place. CaptureWhiteboat.jpgCapturewhiteinterior.jpg

Obviously, the next step is to strip them down to nothing and then pick the best of the two hulls, sort through all the stuff to pick the best, and then figure out what to do with the extras! I have no idea if the motors run, but they both seem to have gotten new parts recently. I will most likely keep the 75hp Johnson if it runs.

Investment in both boats totals $875.

dozerII

Admiral
Re: Starcraft Holiday: 1976 + 1982 = 1 'new' boat

Actually both boats ar SS models. What length are they? But a great buy by any standards.
Glen

FastFission

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Two boats at the same time... You definitely fit into this forum.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

What a chore!!! I would pick the forest because it has a head start on woodwork. :rolleyes: The good thing is after you strip the good stuff from the loser, you still have a project to sell. This is a win-win in my book.

Welcome to the madness we call Starmada.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Nice score. A 140 is a heck of a motor, wish I had one for my SS.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Yup, I am with my buddy Glen up there. I see two SuperSports, super cool you grabbed them both at the same time!!!:D

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Very cool.. Good luck with your project and welcome aboard.

I am not a metal boat guy, but can say that you are in very good hands with the guys chiming in above. Check out their resto threads in their signatures for good tips on set-up, etc..... Also, if you haven't already, you will soon discover that there is a lot of unabashed man-love for metal starcrafts on this board.... They seem to be a very friendly and accommodating bunch and appear to openly welcome new members to their club (provided you move to their commune in Goshen, Indiana; swear off all things made with the "devil's play-do" (fiberglass); and participate in a ceremonial initiation where you sacrifice a glass boat to their metal boat gods - Tinny and Rivet).

Also looks like somebody gave that Johnson O/B a non-OEM paint job.... That makes many on here very sad, and you may be "strongly encouraged" to address that down the road.

Have fun,

dozerII

Admiral

I don't know about the rest of you Starmada members but I sense a little bit of jealousy in Pmccraney's post, but there is a lot of willing tin candidates out there for everyone.
Glen

64osby

Admiral

Filltbo - great choice(s) on your fixer upper. You have created a bonus restore IMO, spare parts, spare motor, salvage or resale parts.

You could flip a motor and be in the nearly free or free Starcraft zone.

Welcome to iboats and the Starcraft madness. Let us know where your from and keep posting pics of you project.

PS: I have swore off all things fiberglass (boats) and I have sacraficed a FG boat for the good of the world and it made Tinny and Rivet very happy.

filltbo

Seaman

To answer a question... the boats are 18 footers. Thanks for the Super Sport id...I did not know that.

We took the motors off boat boats today. The 140 hp was a beast. Looking at it, it seems that the block was replaced. It is red in color and looks newer that the rest of the motor. The prop is in great shape, and it turns out that there was a spare, almost new prop under the jungle of stuff growing on the floor.

The motor was not attached to the transum, but to a 'power lift'. What is the purpose of that?140 hp coming off boat.jpg
back of boats.jpg
back of gray boat.jpg

We also got the 75 hp off with no incident. I also found a piece of hardware that attches to 3 big bolds and says "Use up to a 10 up motor". I guess this is for a small trolling motor?

Just a side note, that Deutz-Allis tractor was my spring project. It came in handy with moving those motors.

No surprise but both transoms are toast! Mush actually.

filltbo

Seaman

I looked at your rebuild, honestly your project and a number of other projects is why I had enough info to tackle this kind of rebuild. I owe you all a big thanks.

I don't know about the rest of you Starmada members but I sense a little bit of jealousy in Pmccraney's post, but there is a lot of willing tin candidates out there for everyone.
Glen

filltbo

Seaman

These are both 18 footers.

GA_Boater

Looks like you got a CMC jack plate with the 140. Is it just lift or is it a tilt/trim unit. Hard to tell from the pics. CMC T-n-T is worth some coin. You're probably right about the small motor mount - for a small trolling motor.

filltbo

Seaman

Here are some pics of the tilt / lift. Taking a good look at it, it seems to be only a lift. Useful I would guess if you are fishing shallow waters.

gray boat side stripped.GIFgray boat stripped.jpgtilt plate back.jpg

We also got the gray boat down to her skivees! Nothing left on her but a really bad paint job that I could power wash off. The hull is in GREAT shape. Now comes a loaded question. Scrap it for the $300 or so it would bring in aluminum (NOT a real option... just conversation). Sell here naked (what is it worth), put a new floor and transom in her (then sell her, would I get my time and money out of her), or do a complete restore on this hull too and then sell her! We have decided to keep the white hull. Mostly for looks. The gray hull only has lapstrake up 2/3rds of the hull, the white boat has lapstrake all the way up the sides.

tilt plate front.jpgtilt plate side.jpg

Time to take the motor off and build a stand (2 hours). Time to take all hardware and inside out including floor but not transom (10 hours). total time invested in boat 1 about 12 hours.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Put that power lift on ebay. It probably won't be of much use to you and could bring in a couple hundred.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Well, ya feel like a whole big project to sell?

Or, just getting it off the property?

Scrapping should be off the table.:)

GA_Boater

Cherry pick the parts, saving the best for your SS. Put the other hull, motor and trailer on the block with the rest of the parts. I think you can sell it easier that way, as a project, even though it needs to be finished. I wouldn't put in a floor or spend any time or money on the boat. You could see if you can get the extra motor running cheaply because that will affect the price. Running, even badly is worth more. Where you live will determine how much it's worth.

filltbo

Seaman

jasoutside, now that you ask ...we have enough with one project. I do a lot of wood working, mostly furniture, so I want to put my time and effort into one very nice customized boat.... I already have the mahogany in the shop picked out for the dash and trim work. So ...out of the yard... Is the best option.

filltbo

Seaman

GA-boater,

I see myself trying start the 140hp Johnson soon. I read a prior post some saying the rule of thumb is to divide the HP by 10 to figure out hourly fuel consumption..... At 14 gal / hr... The big motor has to go! We may pull a tube once in a while, but professional water skiers we are not.

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

Here are some pics of the tilt / lift. Taking a good look at it, it seems to be only a lift. Useful I would guess if you are fishing shallow waters.

I would keep the jack plate and use it,..

It will allow you to better trim the motor for better performance,.......