Engine alignment with outdrive

rustybeater

Seaman Apprentice
I have recently purchased a 4.3L vortex mercruiser motor. I am replacing the 4.3L that is currently in my boat due to mechanical failures. The motors are supposedly the same. both 4.3L both vortex. I am not sure the exact year makes of the motors but I have checked them before and they are close in manufacturer. The problem I am having is the female coupler isnt lingin up with the outdrive alignment tool. I have placed the motor in the boat and tightened down the mounting pins as directed. Useing both a come a long and the forward motor mounts to adjust the motor up and down. yet I still cannot get the alignment tool to align perfectly without any binding. The only time i have got the alignment almost perfect is when I loosened up the aft mounting pins and manualy raised the aft of the motor up. By doing this i have came to an almost perfect alignment. Yet after putting some spacers between the two rear mounts and tightening it down the alignment is off again. Wich is of course typical. Would the idea of using shims in the rear mounts to adjust the motor work with out any problems in the future. Or is there something i am missing and not doing right. I have followed the book and it just isnt working. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Engine alignment with outdrive

Yet after putting some spacers between the two rear mounts and tightening it down the alignment is off again.

Do you have the old or new style mounts? What's this about adding and removing spacers? What outdrive do you have? If Alpha, is it Gen II? If so what year?

It sounds like you are just reading different things and trying things that may or may not have anything to do with your set up. Just picking things that sound good to you.
That is not how to cure your problem.

tpenfield

Staff member

It sounds like there is some incompatibility in the rear engine mounts between the new and old engine. You need to get that sorted out before you can proceed any further.

cr2k

Captain

Did you really get the rear 'stack' or fiber washers and springs EXACTY right? If not you must to proceed.