1974 115HP Johnson WARM-UP LEVER ???

Wishiniwuzfishin

Chief Petty Officer
I just noticed yesterday that when I raise the warm-up lever when trying to start this motor, it doesn't seem to move the throttle/spark advance lever much on the motor, and I don't see the throttle plates inside the carb opening much. The warm-up lever is obviously working some because there is a definite difference in rpm's between lever fully raised and fully down, but I am wondering if it is set and adjusted correctly.

This motor has always been hard starting when cold and I'm just wondering the correct adjustment of the lever. I have a factory service manual and couldn't find anything about how to adjust it or the correct setting, unless I overlooked it in the manual.

Can anybody tell me anything about setting/adjusting the lever?

P.S....As far as the hard cold starting.....YES the choke plates are FULLY closing when using the choke switch on the remote control box...and the old choke service bulletin work has been done. I plan on doing carb work over the winter but I'm just wondering about the warm-up lever right now.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1974 115HP Johnson WARM-UP LEVER ???

It's pretty normal for the warmup lever to slightly advance the timing and slightly open the carb butterflys. It may be adjusted properly the way it is. You can refer to the sync and link procedure in the factory service manual for the precise adjustment of the throttle, cam and timing levers. Once the sync and link is correct on the engine, the control box should function properly when the lever is raised. If the engine has always been hard starting, I'd wonder if the carbs need attention-knowing that the carb butterflys are closing properly.

Wishiniwuzfishin

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for that quick reply. I am going to check the link and sync and levers, linkage etc. as soon as it stops raining here. LOL

I just read another thread that gave me the impression that the throttle lever and spark/advance lever move independent of each other when using the warm-up lever. The thread said that the warm-up lever should move the spark advance lever more than the throttle lever. Do you know if that is correct?

Also...before starting another thread.....do you know if the spark plug wires just push into the coils or are the wires screwed in?

Thanks for your help.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

The throttle lever and spark advance are not independent, but may move at different ratios. It depends on the length of the lever/ arm. I would guess the spark lever (being longer) will move the timing advance more than the throttle cam (shorter) will move the carb butterflys. If you order replacment coils for the engine, likely you will get the "newest" replacement style of coils, which will probably be plug-in versions.

Last edited:

laotou

Seaman

My engine is 1976 85HP Johnson. I believe that the Command Center is the same as yours. When you lift the warm-up lever all the way up, the center of the roller should be at the blue arrow position. That is the cold start position. When the lever is all the way down at the run position, the roller should align with the upper mark. In my manual, Figure 8-3 shows the ideal start position. It is on page 8-2.

In the front of the Command Center on the top, there is a warm-up lever adjustment screw. When the screw is all the way in, the lever can't be lifted all the way up.

There is some play in my cable. When the warm-up lever is up, the roller is not at the start position. At every cold start, I need to take off the cowling, lift the lever, push the throttle cam to the start position manually and then, start the engine. It is pain in the butt. It works!

camshaft.jpg warmupadjust.jpg

laotou

Seaman

You also need to check the cable movement at the Command Center exit. Some forum members and I found out that the cable had some play when the lever moved up and down. The culprit was that a trunnion cap was missing. See Figure 2 for detail. The white part is a trunnion cap. The cable play can reduce the movement of the throttle cam so that the roller is not at the START mark.

cableplay2.gif trunnion1.jpg

trevnlisa

Recruit

On my stock coils, I replaced the leads by un-screwing them, There is also a rubber o-ring type seal behind the outter glue. They were not easy to get out, but not too hard either. Hope this helps.

Wishiniwuzfishin

Chief Petty Officer

Again....thanks to everyone for all the information.

laotou: I will be checking my motor and comparing it to the info you gave me. I'm actually hoping I find something out of whack that I can adjust to correct. It is a REAL pain trying to get this motor started sometimes. Thanks especially for the pics. Makes understanding everything much easier. I didn't find anything in my service manual like that, but again I may have overlooked it.

Trevnlisa: I was referring to what I assume to be the original coils so I'm guessing that they do screw in...I have one that is loose and keeps popping out of the coil if bumped too hard and since I have some new spark plug wire laying around I plan on replacing the whole wire. Just wanted to get an idea how it went in without having to get the magnifying glass out and straining my old tired eyes. LOL

THANKS AGAIN TO EVERYBODY!!!