Silly Hydraulics! 89 Evinrude Crossflow Trim Tilt Issue.

mattkenton

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello,

I have an 89 Crossflow 150 that i am having an issue with. On the trim tilt there are three pistons. The secondary two on either side and the primary center piston.

My first issue is my center piston. It seems to be leaking fluid out of the top ring/seal of the piston. Is this fixable/rebuildable?

My second issue is that my two smaller pistons, with the engine in the locked up position, when compressed, compress at different levels. The port side does not compress at all and the starboard side does as it should. This tells me that the port piston is probably not lifting/pushing and the starboard is doing all the work. I know i have low fluid levels, would this cause the issue? Or has my piston possibly gone bad.

I am trying to avoid replacing a $800 trim tilt. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: Silly Hydraulics! 89 Evinrude Crossflow Trim Tilt Issue.

I'd make sure the unit is filled with the proper hydraulic oil first. The smaller pistons are both compressed (in) when the larger piston brings the engine down....regardless of where they may be resting. Probably some of the misalignment on the smaller ones are due to low fluid levels in the system. Bombardier makes an Oring kit for overhauling that whole assembly: 393942. About $34.
If you get a rental spanner wrench, it may not be a big deal to overhaul that larger piston. Check out the factory exploded parts diagram: epc.brp.com

mattkenton

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks so much! This is good news! Cheers!

mattkenton

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A quick after thought. I was unable to remove the drain plug on the bottom left of the unit. It is wanting to sheer off (the flat head screw). Is there an dalternative to this? Or a way to get it out? Heat? I am afraid that i may damage a seal. Thanks.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Did you try a really large screwdriver? Like the one you use to get the drain plugs out of the lower unit when you change the gear oil. That large blade tip may be what it takes to break it loose.

mattkenton

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Did you try a really large screwdriver? Like the one you use to get the drain plugs out of the lower unit when you change the gear oil. That large blade tip may be what it takes to break it loose.

Yes, that is what i tried :( I am hoping that with enough BPblast and soaking it will loosen. Worst case i have to weld a new bolt on it. And then replace the plug. Which i do not want to do. Thanks.

James R

Commander

An Impact driver may be the answer to your problem. I use one on all the plugs.