Nightmare situation impeller disintegration

ricksim

Recruit
Sadly the impeller disintegrated without me noticing and the engine ran for a few minutes before it quit. The engine is a 1984 6 cylinder 90 hp 2 stroke. I have since removed the lower unit to find the housing was scored badly to the point where the upper portion melted and the impeller itself had disintegrated.The flywheel will turn only a full 360 degrees before it seems to be very stuck . I am at a loss as to what can be done to rectify the situation short of just purchasing a new engine .further more I am curious as to where the remainder of the impeller blades has ended up on this engine and what can be done to clean this mess up.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: Nightmare situation impeller disintegration

Probably powerhead at least. I had a 70 hp, '75 rude and was running at WOT when my engine seized. Cause was stuck shut stat and the engine had no warning horn...I know yours was not a stat problem as you didn't have one....just explaining what caused the damage to my engine.

Metal was all over the combustion chamber (cylinder walls, piston skirts and rings) and it took a .030 overbore and new pistons, rings and all to get it back in shape. I took the powerhead to a marine dealer and picked it up so the labor was just for repairing the powerhead and it was $1000 and that was 20 years ago. A used engine would surely be cheaper than that.

HTH.

Mark

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Nightmare situation impeller disintegration

So you have the gearcase off and the flywheel is difficult to turn? Remove the spark plugs. The flywheel should turn smoothly, although the compression in the crankcase will make it difficult at certain times. Remove the side covers and inspect the cylinders and pistons/rings.