Boat restore question

golf1975

Cadet
I am restoring a 86 challenger bass boat. I was ready to purchase a 80 mariner tri hull with a 96 hp mercury. Now I know this is a dumb question, you guys know better than I do. Can I just take the motor off the mariner and use it on the challenger? And if so ,what do I have to look for on the transom? There is a 50 hp on the challenger now, but I am not sure if it runs or is locked up. If i can yransfer is it a fairly easy process? Thank you guys in advance .

BWT

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Boat restore question

Somewhere around the transom there should be a metal tag or sticker that gives a max hp rating and max persons / weight for the hull.... As long as the motor rating is above the desired engine you're looking to swap out and the transom is in good shape you're good to go.

~BWT

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Boat restore question

yeppers....as above.....no problems with the swap.......a 50 is still a little motor.....so unless your boat is a 14 footer....the 50 will be fine....

the way to check a transom.....(with the motor off).....is to drill some holes from the inside....semi close to the lower drain hole and below the thru hull holes for the motor.

dont drill all the way thru.....just drill half way....and look at the wood shavings from the drill bit.......you are looking for rotten wood.......if the wood is just wet......dry the wood by putting a heated fan (ceramic heater) blowing at the transom for a day or two.

during the motor swap....you will need the control box (shifter) as well........if the boat is the same size, you will not need new cables.